Jambands.ca

Quote of the moment

Mr. Musicface

Yes, the show i'm listening to right now is Chick and Herbie playing as a duo.

No date, though i'm sure i could find one....

Its pretty out there, holds a groove for a while, then drops into some insanity.

THey just finished a "piano tap/rap jam". It was great.

July 1972, Record Label: Verve, Recording Type: Studio, UPC: 042283-56802-0

Personnel: Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock (piano).Recorded live at Masonic Auditorium, San Francisco, California,...

quote:

Twenty years have passed since February 1978, when Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea took a holiday from their hard-core fusion bands (The Headhunters and Return to Forever, respectively); unplugged their electronic keyboards; settled on cushioned benches before a pair of Steinway Grands at concert halls from coast to coast, and reinvented the piano duo. Of course, both musicians had won prior acclaim for such acoustic albums as Hancock's Blue Note classic "Maiden Voyage" and Corea's "Crystal Silence" duet with vibist Gary Burton. But it was The Headhunters' "Chameleon" and RTF's "Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy" that propelled both to pop music superstardom in the early 1970's. And by the time of the duo tour, fans from earlier years were so starved for an antidote to bone-crushing jazz-rock that the performances were SRO.
Hancock was a Columbia artist, Corea recorded for Polydor, and both labels quickly assembled 2-LP packages from tapes of concerts in San Francisco, Los Angeles and Ann Arbor. This is the first CD release in the States of "An Evening With Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea," and as Bob Belden writes in the booklet notes, "You could not find two jazz pianists who have such an affinity for one another's music. Phrases often dovetail from one pianist to another, so that it becomes difficult to tell when one idea begins and where it will end up." While Hancock's piano is on the left and Corea's on the right, soon it doesn't matter. From their nod to Miles Davis ("Someday My Prince Will Come" to a 35-minute medley of Hancock's "Voyage" and Corea's "La Fiesta," the two create music so orchestral, so complex that the mind boggles. An essential set for the jazz piano crowd.

sorry to get your hopes up.

I AM seeing live Herbie Hancock in May, the 50th jazz reunion. Its going to be out of this world.

I can't believe how beautiful this recording is...

I started the CLT (currently listening to) a while back when there seemed to be an opinion floating around on here that all I listen to is hippy rock. THis made me laugh, almost right out loud.

So, now, its my own personal, what u listening to, that gets picked up on every once and a while.

Note to the CLT:

If anyone wants anything that i list in my CLT: Just ask, a b&p or something of the sorts can always be arranged

[big Grin]

Yeh secondtube, I've actually seen your "currently listening to" thing before, I just got confused by this one for some reason - the doctors tell me it'll come and go... [Wink]

And from the ones I've seen, I seem to remember thinking your tastes were pretty diverse actually.

Now you've got me thinking that I gotta go home tonight and dust off my old Return To Forever and Elektric Band records! [big Grin]

Peace,

Mr. M.

Archived