Jambands.ca

digital camera shopping

mr_pinchy

Things to be aware of:

• [*]Battery type. What type of batttery do you want? Do you want regular AA and have to change them regularly, or will you require a lithium ion battery that you call just plug the camera in to charge.

[*]Zoom. Many cameras come with a zoom capability, but there is a difference between digital and optical zoom. The digital zoom will just "crop" the picture, enlarge it and enhance it. Optical zoom gives you a much clear image.

[*]Number of pixels. I would recomend a >=3MP camera, as the pictures will be much clearer. However, small pictures will look fine with a lower res camera (say 2.2MP), you will start to notice a difference when the image size gets bigger.

[*]Storage type. How much intitial storage is on the camera? Can you expand it? Try to find a camera with a non proprietary expandable memory type

I think those of the hot points you should keep in mind. However, there are a lot of other things to keep in mind. These are features that you can get on some more expensive cameras. Determine which are important to you:

• [*]Video

[*]Macro mode(close up shots)

[*]Shutter speed setting.

[*]Docking station to easily transfer files to the computer.

I think you may be able to find a 3.3MP in the 300$ range, but you may end up sacrifcing other features for it.

Good luck.

Phred

My camera is a 1.3 megapixal camera that I got 2 years ago or so. If you aren't planning on making large prints, that could keep your purchase cheap. I do feel very limited with what I have, but I make do with it cause I can't afford to upgrade right now. If I could, I'd sell you mine for under 200 bucks for sure.

They do come out fine for most uses. Aside from being ideal for displaying on a monitor, I have been able to print up to 8 x 10 at the highest resolution without a real noticeable loss.

In other words, if you want to budget, you could get something under 3 megapixels and still enjoy the world of digital photography.

I'd certainly look at something using smart media memory. Although compact flash is common in a lot of devices too.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice, shopped around tonight and this is what I found

HP 318....$150 @ Staples

Resolution 2.31 MP

Storage Media CompactFlash

Connectivity USB

LCD Monitor Size 1.75

Media Card 8 MB Internal

Self-Timer Yes

Digital Zoom 2 x

Weight 186 grams (6.56 oz.) without batteries

Figured for the price I couldn't go wrong.