Jambands.ca

Silver Hearts > Slammin' Jack

kung

Twas a brilliant night of music in Guelph this eve, I can speak from experience because I am still somehow standing at (well it's 7:16am and my girlfriend is none to impressed) this time in the morning. The Silver Hearts at the Ebar was probably out of alot of peoples league at a $10 cover, totally understandable given the size of the band. Anyways it was fucking brilliant despite the late twenties early to mid thirties scenester crowd, they lightened up a bit later on. It was an 8 piece lineup (I'll fill in the details soon enough) particularly worthy of note was the jerry rigged theremin run through an old transistor radio, the lap steel/lead guitar/electronics definitely accented this textural force field theremin trip. People should know the Silver Hearts and if uncertain imagine a completely Canadian voice for a country choir, informed by the psychedelia of dense air, enough to make you a babbling fool for everything they represent. That about covers it.

My girlfriend was definitely mocking me that I felt any obligation to check out Slammin' Jack in light of the Hearts playing. In her mind the authenticity and importance of the Hearts is a given and a band like the Jack is a bit of a hoaky romp. Very close to the end of the Hearts show I dragged myself off. I caught a good four tune/jams at the end of their night. One was suspiciously like a Burt Neilson Waves jam which made me a little anxious about how Jeff Kornblum feels playing something like that. Anyways I yammer on but it was noteworthy that they played a coherent lively transcendant sounding groove. The contrast between them and the Hearts was more than noteworthy. Two different approaches to the same world weariness.

nice review (for pullin an all nighter)

I love how the Silver Hearts' theramin player never cracks a smile, I'd be beamin like a rainbow up there if that was my job

awesome band... my personal labeling for them is Tom Waits meets a New Orleans funeral march on the Delta

Slammin Jack have been growing steadily for a young band, I'm quite anxious to see what the past 7 months have done for them (they passed though town heading out east last summer and were quite good but a little insecure(really worried about the small hamilton turnout)... on their way back west a month later they had the road in their eye and easy smiles and you could hear that take the playing up a bunch of notches)

Interesting review. I would've liked to see the Silver Hearts in a smaller venue than Barrymore's and pick up any difference in the audience. That being said I thought they were great wehn I saw them

The best thing about the E-Bar is all the olives they give you in a martini