Jambands.ca

My Morning Jacket Is Coming To Toronto!!

Jaimoe

That I agree with,I enjoy what I have heard of My Morning Jacket,although I haven't heard alot,I still have a couple albums to pick up by reccomendation of Jaimoe.But I do agree with the age thing,I know there is alot of music I didn't seem to like throughout my twenties,MMJ probally would fit into the genre of music I wasn't fond of back then.

I think the big shift in me occured around 27,a couple things played in that though,cancer,major back surgery and just realizing that life isn't all a big live show that I can give'r without care,just isn't the case.But it isn't a bad thing thats for sure,I have greater appreciation for many things,music especially,I noticed anyway,that it maybe wasn't so much my turning a certian age opposed to perhaps being more honest with myself and not really falling into the whole "peer" thing when it came to what music I do like.

I think age plays a minor piece in the big scheme of things but certianly isn't concrete.

Well,now ya got me thinking too much for a sunday Kung...

I agree with Esau about the " peer " statement and how if can stifle and/or launch individual musical shifts.

I think that moving away from your hometown for the first time can ignite a musical shift in people too. For example, bands that were influential and big when I was growing up either did not appeal to me, or I wasn't exposed to their music at the time . Since moving to Toronto, I've grown to love bands that I never listend to while growing up in Kingston: Zappa, The Clash, Television, The Ramones, The Replacements, The Jam, The Specials etc...

It took a move to Toronto and hanging out with people of all backgrounds at Ryerson for bands like Zeppelin, Who, Stones, Hendrix, Neil Young, The Dead to go away for awhile. I'm thankful for this.

Guest Low Roller

I'll agree with you there Jaimoe. The environment really has a profound effect on what people listen to. About three years I had no idea who the Grateful Dead were, nor did I really care. Then I met this psycho called Booche.... same goes for Phish and a phat cat called Dave-O. They opened the door for me to a bunch of amazing music and amazing people that perhaps I would have never experienced otherwise.

I'm still hoping to get tickets for My Morning Jacket... Is the show seated or is it general admission?

Bizarre but I'm sitting in the hotel bar of the Holiday Inn Waterfront in Peterbororough having a round of drinks after a meeting and my ears perk up cause I hear what I think is My Morning Jacket and it is! on a Coors Aspen Edge commercial it's one of the It Still Moves songs I'd have to listen back to figure it out. One of the better riffs from the album just goes to show that if you love something odds are there's a guy at an ad agency that loves it too.