Jambands.ca

My Morning Jacket Is Coming To Toronto!!

Jaimoe

05.28 My Morning Jacket The Opera House

Tickets at Rotate This, Sonic Temple, TM

I'd see this band over any right now, save for Television ( Tom Verlaine will be playing in Toronto in a few weeks ).

My Morning Jacket is one of the best new bands to come along in a decade. Don't miss this show!

Guest Low Roller

What do you figure are the chances of this show selling out? I'm not ready to commit to that date just yet, but as soon as I can, I'll buy the tickets.

I saw them at the Horseshoe (5.7.03) a while back and it was awful. Just ordinary meloodic rock with way too much of nothing and way too much hair. I hate not being able to see the emotion on a band's face because they don't care to share it. My personal opinion and I respect why ppl. like em' so much.

enjoy the show.

alright... wont be able to make the show (shaker), but i gotta ask, what is it with these guys? ok, i picked up the "it still moves" cd, after reading you guys (kung, jaimoe) rave about them, and to be honest, yeah, its not bad, dont get me wrong, but, what is it that makes these guys geniuses? im not hearing it. really, what should i be listening for? cuz i just dont get it.

maybe its just not for everyone...

cheers.

They are probably not your thing Sheik. However, I think you'll one day come back to this band. They grow on you. I love the Brian Wilson meets The Band meets Neil Young meets The Allman Brothers thing.

It must be said that their first two albums are better than the great, but uneven It Still Moves.

yeah, you know, i actually "liked" it, but, i havent fallen in love with it. i just havent seen what you guys have seen in them. and thats cool.

most people dont understand my disgusting affection for martin tielli's music.

it almost seems necessary. you know? im thinking of it in terms of a small microcosm of a much larger idea. if everything made sense to everyone it would be very very weird, i think. what would people talk about?

thats cool. maybe i'll pick up some of their earlier stuff.

Actually, the Rheos are cool. I've seen Martin do an open mic night at the Duke of Glocester one Sunday night this past winter. He smoked.

It Still Moves has great highs, but it does get uneven with it's droning reverb-drenched trance jams at the end of the album. The first two MMJ albums are stark, soulful and beautiful.

nice... what are those albums called? i'll keep my eyes peeled.

i am a much bigger fan of martin tielli on his own, or with his band operation infinite justice, than with the rheos. i've seen the rheos a million times, and love their studio stuff, they can take me places when im listening to them, but their shows often disappoint me. but martin with his band are just great to watch and listen to, and they're there to play and entertain.... not practice, which is how i often feel when im watching the rheos.

I understand why these guys are so popular, but I agree with the 'nothing special' argument. They strike me as another band trying to be innovative but failing at it and landing somewhere in the mediocore range. I like the different opinions though because that's something this board has been missing as of late.

Maybe I caught them on an off night, maybe I missed something, but they sure left a sour taste in my mouth. Music needs substance, and these guys completely lacked it, IMO.

Still, to all ya'll folks that love this band; I am glad they are coming back b/c the more live music, the merrier to me. peace- :)

" Music needs substance, and these guys completely lacked it, IMO ".

A shocking statement.

I'd say you caught them on an off night. " Substance " and soul are two things that come to mind when I hear their music. Also, stark beauty, which is something I haven't heard in music since the first day I heard Pink Moon by Nick Drake ( a few years ago ).

Shane you really have to try and stretch a little bit more (or a whole lot). Not to slag you too much but I think alot of this comes down to age and experience, I can honestly say that at your age I may not have got into a band like MMJ or understood what they were all about. How you can listen to them launch into Mahgeetah then into Dancefloors on album or live and turn your nose up is completely beyond me. Jaimoe's comparisons are apt, there is a whole lot of substance their both in lyrics and delivery. I am amazed at how they are so clearly rooted in a tradition but have found their own voice. In the meantime you're probably better off gargling Rev Door lot castaway music till your ears grow.

I am way too tired to come up with a sarcastic comment to rebuttle your comment Kung.

I really don't think age has to do with anything. Sure, I am younger than most people who are into alternative styles of music, but that bears no relevance to enjoying certain bands or types of music.

Kung, I covered My Morning Jacket and reviewed their show in May of last year for the Door, giving them press when they were virtually unknown (in comparison to today). Just because I'm young does not mean I lack the cranial capacity to enjoy this band. They simply aren't for me, case closed. I'd definitly go rather listen to some Cheese. ;)

later dude- :D

I hear what you're saying but I can't really agree. Frankly I think the whole idea of equality is a bit of a myth, sure in an essential buddha nature kind of way but in terms of life experience I don't know that equality is the right word. I like about our scene that people from different age groups are treated as equals, I also think that there is a tendency say in your early twenties to think that you have things pretty much figured out especially if you spend alot of time with older people. Any of the late twenties early thirties folks will know what I mean, there is just a certain deepening of experience that takes place throughout your early twenties that you may not have anticipated fully. I'm saying My Morning Jacket may in fact appeal to people at a certain time in their lives.