Jambands.ca

DJ Greyboy in Canada!

DevO

I stumbled across a few Canadian dates for DJ Greyboy.. If you've never really gotten into dj's before, this dude might be the one for you. "Andreas Stevens, aka Greyboy, born 1970, and residing in San Diego, has gone full circle. He was the first artist to sign to Ubiquity, and his first full-length album is still the label's all-time best seller. Not bad for a record that cost less than $4000 to make, and sold on an advertising budget of $0! He was a man in the right place at the right time. While the acid jazz phenomenon was brewing in Europe in the early 1990s, Greyboy became the first American producer to mix beats with jazz. His chunky beat-making sensibilities earned him praise from the European crowd, and his tracks were heard by crowds checking out DJs like UK-based Gilles Peterson, Marcus Wyatt (LA), and DJ Smash (NYC)."

Greyboy helped put together and produce the Greyboy Allstars with Karl Denson and Robert Walter and I think he's doing some touring with them right now.

He's recently put out a single featuring Quantic with Sharon Jones -- samples of which can be heard here.

I got hooked on Greyboy through his album Greybreaks, a '93 release of "stripped down beats and jazz". CLICK HERE to listen to some samples from that.

Finally, he's just released his first LP that he's done in 3 years. Its called Soul Mosaic and samples can be heard here!

spin.gif

Here are the dates:

5.6 Calgary @ Night Gallery

5.7 Montreal @ Le Swimming

6.05 Ottawa / "Flirt" @ The Mercury Lounge Cover is : $12 advance $15 at the door. Age: 18+ 9pm-2am

I might come up for the Ottawa night.

::

Greyboy sort of blows live if you ask me. One of those producer types that sometimes seems like he shouldn't play out. The whole Allstars affiliation is alot looser than it seems I believe as well. But it could be quite good. I'd be into seeing them in a space like the Mercury Lounge (you never hear the Otown kids talking about that spot but despite being a little odd for dancing is great for beautiful women at least).

I haven't heard much about his live show before so you could be right! Only one way to find out though.. Yeah I thought I read somewhere that he was there when the Allstars got together but broke away from them (or vice versa) pretty quickly.

Is the Mercury Lounge Ottawa's hoochie bar?