Jambands.ca

Ottawa Free Music Fest : We Have a Date!

Rob Not Bob

Potentially :)

I've been talking with my friend Cheryl about this tentative Free Music Fest I've been talking about having on her land, and we have finally set a tentative date for it. It is Saturday, July 24th, which is the weekend *before* the August Long Weekend, and as far as I know that date doesn't conflict with anything. We have already lined up one, possibly two, possibly even three bands already, and would love to find more as well as individual musicians who would be interested in playing. Cheryl has already taken care of the all important portapotties , so we don't have to worry about that. This is the same land where the Ottawa Pagan Picnic was last year, those who were there all had a great time. The land isn't huge, we aren't talking about holding Woodstock , Coventry or even CTMF there, but it can easily accomodate the whole Ottawa scene as well as out of town guests, with room for camping if people so wish. There is a stage already on the land and the vibe there is great. If anyone is interested in participating, either playing or just helping out, please contact me.

Cheers,

RnB

While all of this is still in development, I am hoping to have jamming throughout the day and night. Bring your instrument, whatever it is, and make sure you bring food and water, the sun shines hot there and dehydration is a bad thing.

While we are at it, is there any guitarist out there who thinks they can make it with some Deep Purple in their repertoire? My wife's band is hoping to show up and jam, but their guitarist is unavailable that day and they have a lot of Purple in their set.

We now have confirmation from the fabulous Butterflies and Zebras that they will be playing that day. They played an awesome show last year at the Pagan Picnic and we are glad to have them back this year. We are also looking forward to No Buds For Bob! playing the festival, I know they are going to be great. There is also another band that the owner of the land is bringing in, but I don't have their name yet. Join up now, folks, the more the merrier :)

RnB

Hey, Rob. Real Gone Daddies might be interested in playing at your festival. Can you throw me some details?

Terry

When : Saturday, July 24th, maybe even spilling over into Sunday the 25th, haven't set a start time yet but looking to have it pretty much all day and all night

Where : 3187 Eagleson Road, Richmond ... just go south on the Eagleson exit from the Queensway and keep on going until you go past richmond, it is on the left

What : a free music fest/jamboree/what have you, working on a budget that is as I say somewhere between "Pass the hat" and "Oh sweet nothin'". All participation is strictly voluntary ... we have a stage, we have portapotties, we are working on a PA system and drum kit, there is lots of room for parking and for camping, in fact camping is encouraged. The Pagan Picnic was held there last year, the folks who played there can testify to what a cool site and a great vibe it is (bradm, Hux, Pootie Tang, B&Z). We are seeing about whether or not vending will be allowed but I am pretty sure that will be ok. We are still working out the details as I haven't done anything like this before :) Thus far we have lined up or been speaking with Butterflies & Zebras, No Buds For Bob!, Inept, Jim Bryson and an as yet unnamed band (we know who they are, they are friends of Cheryl the land owner, they just don't have a collective name yet :) ) ... and now, of course, we are talking with you guys and Uncle Seth :) As I said, this is pretty disorganized so far, we only just confirmed the location and date last Friday ... we aren't trying to have anything huge, just a fun event for whoever wants to come. We also hope to be collecting food for the Ottawa Food Bank while we are at it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, although the answer may be "We don't know yet" ;)

RnB

I can defenitely testify it was a blast last year, really kind folks, great venue to play frisbee, 3 leg races (Hux and I are defending champs) and lots of good music. Also there was a giant fire last year and biker chicks, really cool shitt. Hopefully I can make it this year, but theres a chance I'll be in NFLD, I'll keep you posted Rob, I'd love to be there!

Terry,

I would looooooove to have TMNS there as well. I will e-mail you, please let me know if you guys can make it.

Pootie-tang,

I will keep my fingers crossed that you can make it, it was awesome having you there last time, both playing and just attending ... but if you can't, I can at least take comfort in knowing you are in God's Country :)

Folks,

Those who were there last year will be interested in this ... I am talking with my friend Colleen Schinge, a very fine jazz vocalist, about possibly playing a set this year and she is going to see if her accompanists will be available. Her accompanists are guitarists Steve D'Annunzio (he and I go way back) and Andy Daly. Pretty much every musician I spoke to who played last year raved about playing with Andy, who was particularly gifted at improvisation . I am now keeping my toes crossed in hopes that they will be able to make it.

Cheers,

RnB

Just like to thank R'n B for inviting B&Z along, last year was stellar, a good time had by all....Canned Beats, I'm sure there will lots of jamming into the wee hours...I'm looking forward to seeing you all there! N

It was a great honour having you guys there, Norm. I'm really looking forward to seeing you play there again.

Canned Beats, I am going to try and set aside specific time periods during the day for free jamming, but I won't be able to set a definite schedule until more people can confirm if they will be there. I probably won't have a definite schedule until the day of the fest, possibly not even then ;) But don't worry ... the owner of the land is to encouraging us to play all day, all night, and even into the next day if we wish ... there are no neighbors near enough to complain. She has even encouraged us to camp there, so you can go to your tent for a quick nap and get up and jam some more :) My wife Fiona has made a good suggestion ... she encourages everyone who has one to bring a songlist of stuff in your repertoire ... that was those who don't have the inclination to improv free form can network and jam out on songs they all know.

While we are at it, my wife's band is still in need of a guitar player for the event (their guitar player will be attending his daughter's wedding that day) ... as I said, they do a lot of deep purple, as well as a lot of other Classic rock stuff : Led Zep (Kashmir, No Quarter, All Of My Love, I'm Gonna Crawl) , Doors (LA Woman, Roadhouse) , Boston (Longtime, Smokin'), Kansas (Carry On), Pink Floyd (In The Flesh?, Comfortably Numb) , The Who (Won't Get Fooled Again), Ozzy (No More Tears)etc. etc. The band is founded by the keyboardist, so thus the emphasis on keyboard heavy songs . If anyone can help them out, please let me know.

Cheers,

RnB

anyone wanna start a band? i'm picky but just as long as we can hit the pocket i'd be happy.

Yes, I want to start a band! I agree about hitting the pocket (how about "Pocket Lint" as a name?); set up a sick groove, make 'em dance until the floor is slick with their exuded sweat.

Aloha,

Brad

Well BradM...I'm thinking 'Lint Bootay'. but we've gotta hit it dirty. none of this love everybody peace and happiness stuff. We understand that already.

now we just need to find a kickin drummer that'll keep me dirty and focused. backup singers? anyway we've gotta have soul if we're gonna show up and play this fest i'm thinkin.