Jambands.ca

My Morning Jacket Concert Review: Opera House

Jaimoe

I'm not sharp today, sitting here at work, hanged-over and tired, but the pain was well earned. My early wish came true: My Morning Jacket put on one of MY Concert's Of The Year last night at the Opera House in Toronto. After the spirited openers One Big Holiday and Dancefloors from It Still Moves , Jim James and company continued to bring the house down with selections from all three of their full-length albums, never letting up for two-plus hours. As powerful as MMJ are when they rock-out, it's when they play the quieter songs, like the eerie but lovely Death Is The Easy Way ( with the excellent opening act M. Ward on harp ) and an electrified Masterplan , that make this band special. James has one of those voices that can touch your soul, and his songs have a way of hypnotizing you with their beauty. Some bands only have a few songs that can be considered beautiful. Jim James has written at least twenty. The Opera House has been blamed in the past for having terrible acoustics which have ruined concerts ( like Galactic on two occasions ), but this was not the case last night. James' voice was clear from the beginning, full of emotion and strength. One surprise was that we weren't treated to the now, trademark solo Jim James acoustic set, but it didn't matter. Songs that James often performs live, solo-acoustically, like The Bear and Golden sounded great with the full band treatment. The rocker Mahgeetah ended the night on a high point, sending the responsive and from what I could tell, enraptured capacity crowd home satisfied.

One Big Holiday

Dancefloors

How Do You Know

Death Is The Easy Way *

Oxen (a.k.a How Do I Know)

I Will Sing You Songs

The Way That He Sings

Lowdown

Strangulation

Masterplan

The Bear

Steam Engine

Run Thru

End Of Cobra

------------

Golden *

O Is The One That Is Real

Mahgeetah

* With M. Ward

Everyone I went with loved the show. My friends all have differing musical tastes too. I'd get to the show early. MMJ joins opening act M. Ward for a few numbers. Don't miss this!!

M. Ward's voice reminds me of Tom Waits and a young Keith Richards, plus his acoustic guitaring in intricate and his songs are excellent.

Note: There's two opening acts. M. Ward is second. MMJ is pretty prompt after Ward finishes - 15 minutes.

Guest Low Roller

I just got back from my wild week-end adventure that began with My Morning Jacket at the Opera House in Toronto.

I can easily summarize it by saying it was the best concert I've seen since the White Stripes last November.

I wasn't exactly too sure what to expect from the show, but rest assured that all those expectations were completely obliterated. I won't go into too much detail, because Jaimoe wrote a good review of the show, but I can honestly say that, having already seen The Slip, I have no regrets missing The Slip in Montréal to see My Morning Jacket in Toronto. It was an unbelievable concert, and I hope to see them again really soon.

Punk and Bug, how was the Montréal MMJ show?? I wish that I was there, but things didn't work out that way.

the montreal show ROCKED! I couldn't believe how loud they were, but in a good way. I think it was pretty much the same setlist as Toronto, but maybe a bit shorter, but maybe it just seemed shorter because it ended really early, i think around 10:30. We missed the openers, though, but it was still totally worth the drive.

I LOVE this band!

This was such an easy roadtrip, I can't believe no one else from Ottawa came!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller

I'm listening to the show right now, and wouldn't you know it, the source is from a soundboard....

Yes, I believe that we can negotiate a suitable exchange that will benefit both parties Jaimoe...

Guest Low Roller

More than likely yes. But right now things are so completely chaotic that planning more than a day ahead of time seems like madness.