Jambands.ca

Fieldnotes: DD & Little Feat last night

Floyd

Maybe this will make a little more sense than last night's 3AM post but everything is still a little surreal.

I guess Doug said it best when he said on the drive down to the Hammer that "this may be little feat for them but it's big feat for us" How true. Arriving at the venue the crew was just finishing up their tweaks to allow the Feat to do soundcheck. This gave me a little time to chat it up with the band members. I got talking to Richie and Sam (drummer and percussion) and they were VERY kind about letting Ricky and I use their gear! It took a little convincing ("You guys aren't going to move or tune the drums are you?" "Hell no, I'm just stoked to be playing on 5 grand worth of percussion gear") Wow, what a thrill. I hope I warmed those congas up for you, Sam!

The one thing about the Feat's soundcheck that really "got me" was the Hate To Lose Your Lovin'. The checked with it first and it sucked to them but I LOVED it. A song that I'm not sure they play "in front of people" too often but one of my favorites. After they soundchecked we got up and it was great to jam with the big sound.

A lineup of about 100 people greeted us on our way outside (a great sign) so once we got on stage we had a good sized crowd to catch DD's set.

We played about 8 or 10 songs (1 hour) and the crowd seemed to be enjoying us. I was having a blast playing on Sam's gear (did I mention he has FIVE tambourines?) and it all ended too quick.

The crowd by this time had swelled to near capacity and it was getting kinda sardinish but everyone was pumped for the Feat. Andy Frost (ladies and gentlemen here is YOUR Toronto Maple Leafs) made an appearance and introduced the band. They started with Time Loves A Hero and didn't look back for an hour and a half. They played a bunch of their newer tunes as well as a few old nuggets. The band ended with a Dixie Chicken closerthat rocked but no Willin'. It was on the setlist as the last song and they even soundchecked with the mandolin but they must have ran out of time. Too bad, I was looking for it.

The crowd filtered out and we stumbled down to the PJC for a little Rose Garland to top off the night. You guys were the perfect fit for what we were looking for. Sounded great! Nothing like a little Dead to top off the evening.

Missed the electric set, but the acoustic thing was good enough for me.

All said, I had a great night. Thanks to all who made it more than just another night at the steel shop.

Thanks to

Diesel Dog: for letting me sit in with you guys for the biggest and best show to date. We have travelled very far, just to get where we are. XOXO

Little Feat: for letting us use their gear, share the stage, and being a bunch of down to earth, approachable folks. Good luck in Europe!

Briguy: for making it all happen and smiling all night

KC: for the smoking afterparty at PJC (and the reduced admission rate ;)

Club 77 (Dean & Carrie): Just because we are almost related (by marriage) that doesn't mean you can stand at the bar and enjoy cheap libations all night (or does it??)

All of you: skanks who came out to enjoy the show and mingle with the oldies. Hope you had a great time!

Good luck to:

Dickey Betts: opening for the Feat tommorow night, hope you do as well as we did.

Upcoming:

Mark Tonin's 40th birthday party at the Lanc. July 9. Good music, good vibes and it's FREE!

Floyd

Thanks for posting your thoughts Floyd ... it was a great show! I wish I could put down the song names and set list for both bands but sorry, my brain just doesn't work that way, at least not after having my head blown off by an awesome night of music.

I thought Diesel Dog sounded great ... so nice to see them on the big stage and hear them with the big sound.

And Little Feat ... wow ... what a great band! Some blistering guitar work at this show, awesome energy, and excellent sound. The band was tight and having a blast and I thought the sound was right on ... better than at the last show I thought.

Briguy ... keep on making it happen!

And Rose Garland ... that was a sweet acoustic set at Pepper Jack's. Couldn't stay any later but really enjoyed what I heard.

Looking forward to the Come Together Fest and to the party at the Lanc on July 9th, where I'll be able to say that I shared a stage with a band that shared a stage with Little Feat. :) :: ;)

Peace, Mark

Hey Floyd, you guys were fantastic. It was good seeing you up there with the Dog again. I was very happy you guys played so well. I knew you would. Thanks for the kind words too.

The feat were great, again! Thanks Bri-guy for making it happen.

Thanks Rose Garland for bringing it back to Pepper Jack's and putting on another fine show, as per.

And thanks to everyone who came back with the good vibes to end the night right.

and thanks New Rider for giving me your green sweatshirt hoody contraption. Fits like a glove. I'm wearing it right know.

Wassabs' saturday ;)

Date: 6/22/2004 Location: Club 77 - Hamilton, Ontario

Setlist:

Time Loves A Hero > Day Or Night, I’d Be Lyin’, Rad Gumbo, Red Stream Liner, Love You Like A Woman, Let It Roll, Sailin’ Shoes, Night On The Town, Mercenary Territory, Takes A Lot To Laugh, Fat Man In The Bathtub, E: Dixie Chicken

Comments:

Opening Act: Diesel Dog

BIG thanks to Secondtube, DieselDoug, KC, Briguy, Mulemomma, Chickenbutter420, Little Feat, Rose Garland, Summer and the rest of Diesel Dog!

Fun night!!!

You were missed Esau :( (and so was the Spanish Moon we so wanted to hear...not that I would've been there in time for it anyway ::)

It was a great night of stellar music and fabulous friends, and I'm so glad that NewRider was there to carry on with me til long after dawn ::

Thank you everyone for making it a special night, including you Diesel Dog freaks, Briguy, Kenny, CB420, Dancin' Man, Rose Garland, and Ryan (even though I don't know who you are - hope you have fun in Indiana) ::

BTW Esau (and to anyone else to whom this applies), join me in a late celebration of 20 years since the life-altering experience of participating in our first Grateful Dead show (June 21st, 1984)...what a long strange trip it's been ::

Hey Del (and what happened to the "head"?...have you up and abandoned all us other "heads"? ;)) I was wondering where you'd gotten to Tuesday night too.

Unfortunately, unless CTMF moves to Deerhurst Resort (which I might add would be one hell of a party), I'm unable to attend, as my folks are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary that weekend at Deerhurst. I'm wishing I could clone myself to be two places at one time, but alas, that appears unlikely within the coming week.

And, once again, I'll be working on the weekend, so no Wassabi for me either :(.

Galactic, on the other hand, will be the weekend party blowout, what with birthdays to celebrate, beers to be drunk, and funk to release!! How about it? ::