Jambands.ca

Recent CD Purchases

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

The Streets- Original Pirate Material

The Streets- A Grand Don't Come For Free

The Streets are the latest/greatest thing to come out of the UK garage scene according to the word on the steet (oh, the pun!). Never having heard any of their music myself, I picked up the first CD solely based on glowing words from several websites and money to burn. I don't normally buy CDs out of the blue, and typically prefer to have a hint of what to expect. Call this an impulse buy if you will. The first album is incredible as it blends aspects of UK garage, hip-hop, house, and brilliant lyrics that are so simple that it seems like he's reading from his journal. Each track tells a good story, which is a refreshing change from the generic US hip-hop scene which only talks about the bitches, the bling, and the rides. I liked the first album so much, I ran out to buy the second disc, but unfortunately is hasn't captured me as much as the first disc. It's not bad, but the first album is a good cruising-in-the-car disc, and I was hoping the second one would be as well.

I highly recommend Original Pirate Material. With it you will discover UK garage music. A Grand Don't Come For Free is slightly recommended.

Manitoba- Up in Flames

Once again, I bought this CD solely based on a recommendation from several of my musical elitist peers. Manitoba is a one-man band project that dives deep into the realm of ambient sounds mixed with record scratching, hints of techno, uhh... lots of effects... Whatever, I can't describe it, however it is totally original, and makes for a great listen while playing video games or chilling out with a drink and smoke. Manitoba will be playing at the Ottawa Bluesfest if I'm not mistaken, and the Montreal Jazzfest, so odds are I'll be seeing him live at some point this summer.

I would recommend this disc for anyone who likes experimental music along the lines of My Bloody Valentine.

My Morning Jacket- Acoustic Citsuoca

My love for this band is not exactly a well kept secret. This six song EP is a great introduction to the vocal genius of Jim James, the lead singer of the band. Four tracks are just him on an acoustic guitar, and if you can't draw parallels between the energy and tone of his voice with that of Neil Young early in his career then you really should just stick with your Britney's and Justin's. The track Golden is simply haunting. Originally on thier most recent studio album It Still Moves, this song is made even more powerful by stripping the original studio version of all other layers besides the acoustic and voice. Goosebumps.

Highly recommended for fans of acoustic guitars, good vocals, and Neil Young.

Modest Mouse- The Moon and Antarctica

From the saviours of rock 'n roll My Morning Jacket to the saviours of indie rock Modest Mouse, to The Streets and everywhere in between. This was quite the schizo shopping spree at HMV.

Modest Mouse is the latest indie rock sensation, but unlike some acts that will fade to obscurity when their 15 minutes are over (The Flaming Lips I'm looking your way), Modest Mouse shows increasing amount of potential, and you know the best is yet to come. However this album is an excellent jump-on point for this band.

Modest Mouse was supposed to play Lollapalooza, but now that it's been cancelled, I hope that Modest Mouse decide to do a fill-in show somewhere in Toronto or Ottawa instead. A full set would be much better as opposed to a shortened festival set. I'd love to see this band live.

This album comes highly recommended.

I love THE STREETS. He happens to be playing Leeds a week before I move there. oh lucky me! And It's with 50 cent!!

For me-

Gomez 'Split The Difference'

The Beta Band 'Heroes to Zeroes'

Signal Path 'ST'

all highly recommended. I still like older Gomez more though.

i picked up a couple of live The Diplomats shows on saturday night. this group captures the essence of the musical soul of Peterborough if you ask me. (and peterborough's got a punchy old soul dontchaknow) you could call em rock, blues, punk, freaks.... whatever you call em they kick ass. their shows are such raw energy i opted to pass on the studio-produced album for now, but having listened to these shows i think i might have to buy the studio album and some of patrick walsh's solo work too.

check em out

meh, it was kind of what I expected. Of couse Scofield is a genius, and played really slick. But, it was a very mellow show, not really what I was up for. I didn't pay anything, just watched it from behind the tent, so i can't really complain. And he signed my copy of Uberjam. I'm not an autograph guy, but I was still there after the show, and he was signing. When in Rome...

i picked up a couple of live The Diplomats shows on saturday night. this group captures the essence of the musical soul of Peterborough if you ask me. (and peterborough's got a punchy old soul dontchaknow) you could call em rock, blues, punk, freaks.... whatever you call em they kick ass. their shows are such raw energy i opted to pass on the studio-produced album for now, but having listened to these shows i think i might have to buy the studio album and some of patrick walsh's solo work too.

check em out

good call

i went on a bit of a spree the other day, as well, and picked up:

the wrens - meadowlands

neil young - silver and gold

yes - close to the edge

radiohead - hail to the thief

and ordered copies of the new sonic youth & pedro the lion albums.