Jambands.ca

Who's Going To Bela Fleck Wednesday in Toronto?

Jaimoe

I'll be there! Got tickets Sunday night. It's at Nathan Phillip's Square for the Toronto Jazz Festival.

I can't wait to see Bela. It seems to me that a lot of Flecktone fans seem to be overly enamoured with Victor Wooten. I believe Sly's Larry Graham invented the " slap " technique afterall. I do love V. Wooten, but Bela is the legitimate and true innovator in that band - no disrespect to Futureman intended.

Anyway, I hope some of you can make it.

I'd love to go see the Dave Matthews Band (Bela Fleck) tonight, I was even offered a free ticket (Bela Fleck) but alas, it's a test (Bela Fleck) night in school, so I (Bela Fleck) can't really skip it off.

I think DMB (Bela Fleck) are an excellent band and they catch a lot of unwarranted (Bela Fleck) crap just for being succesful(Bela Fleck) .

Wow, sh!tty dude that you had to turn down a free ticket :(

I'm really looking forward to seeing Keller tonight. As far as DMB goes, I'm hoping for a good show, but I'm really not expecting much. Everytime I've seen them since about 99 has been a disapointment. I could care less how successful they are. IMO something has really changed in their sound and live performance. I first started to notice it at the Maple Leaf Gardens show, their performances started to feel more produced and less spontanious. In any case I'll be there tonight hoping for my heady 'Watchtower'.

I don't give them crap 'cause they are successful. I give them crap because Dave's voice makes my skin crawl. If they were entirely instrumental I am sure I would enjoy them.

All that being said I have never seen them live or heard more than a song or two from them, so we will see how it goes tonight.

Cyber - I may make it to the afterparty - we'll see how it goes.

Guest Low Roller

If you've never seen DMB live, then I'd say you should stick around and give them a chance. I've seen them live twice, and dare I say it was fun? DMB always have an entertaining opening act, and Dave Matthews himself always introduces the opener which I think is a classy gesture.

The DMB set is very solid, and you might even find yourself anjoying the set. Sure they stick to the formula when it comes to the more common tunes, but they do errupt into spontaneous jam on ocassion. Last time I saw them, DMB did a 30 minute jam with all of the Flecktones, which was definitely a sick moment. You're pretty much guaranteed a guest appearance by Keller on a tune or two.

I'd definitely recommend seeing DMB once. However I do see how they can wear thin after a while.

Trev - Laurie's going (The Flecktones) tonight, so keep an eye out for her on (The Flecktones) the lawn.

Have a great time guys! Brian - (The Flecktones) give DMB a shot, you're (The Flecktones) there anyway! I'd (The Flecktones) like to hear your honest appraisal in the days to (The Flecktones) come!

Trev - Laurie's going (The Flecktones) tonight, so keep an eye out for her on (The Flecktones) the lawn.

Have a great time guys! Brian - (The Flecktones) give DMB a shot, you're (The Flecktones) there anyway! I'd (The Flecktones) like to hear your honest appraisal in the days to (The Flecktones) come!

I'll let you know what I think.

Syracuse, NY, On Center, Fall of 1996: me and a few friends go see DMB for a Rochester > Syracuse run. We find ourselves in the bleachers. Directly to our left (our seats butressed the aisle) is a stern-looking middle aged lady keeping a steely eye on our section. We could, if wanted to, reach out and poke her. Directly in the row in front of us is four or five squealing girls that could not have been out of Grade 8. We are four 20-somethings just fu©king desperate to get high.

It was the Twilight Zone of concert experiences. Later on at the weird hotel, we ordered a pizza that literally moved as soon as we lifted the lid. One of our party used a rusty staple from the pizza box to try to explode a gigantic cyst on his eyeball. That may have been the trip we effectively got mugged at a convenience store, but that may have been Rochester on another trip.....

FWIW, when I saw DMB last Summer, there were no 14 year old girls around. A lot of preppy, cute college-aged girls (mmmmmmmmm.....) but no teeny-boppers to be seen. Just a million cute girls and Yo wandering around.

Last year's DMB audience was actually one of the most fun, positive audiences I've been a part of in a long while!

But not quite distracting and disturbing as all their blood curdling screams!

The same can be said at Ben Harper shows. Screams during poinant songs.

Actually, Ben Harper's crowd is similar to that of the DMB: Young girls wasted and passing out everywhere you look. It's like Booche at a highschool dance.