Jambands.ca

A sick DMB/Keller show!!

CyberHippie

I was pretty blown away last night by DMB and Keller. There were a few DMB songs that I really didn't care for, but that was by far a minority of the show. DMB has really evolved since the last time I saw them, maybe this is in part due to the fact that they weren't touring to support an new album, and maybe also due to the wide variety of influces Dave has been getting from different openers as well as events like Bonnaroo. Dave is definitely picking up influces from the likes of G Love, Ben Harper, Keller, Galactic, Soulive etc. DMB has a new energy and played in fine form last night. It was actually a little strange when they'd sink back into one of their singles off the last couple albums, after having been stuck in a hard jammed out groove. The audience was very mixed though, so I guess you really do have to through a few bones out there for all the people who want to hear those singles. I have to say though, for the most part the crowd was great, chill, having a good time, and very unannoying.

It all began as Dave took the stage introducing Keller Williams as someone you really should know if you don't already. Then Dave picked up his guitar and he and Keller proceeded to play a short but sweet "All along the Watchtower". Damn what a way to open the show!! It was a little bitter sweet, because it was almost like Dave had resigned himself to the fact they'd he play Watchtower but was getting it out of the way right of the bat. Still, and Keller/Matthews Watchtower? Who can complain about that... Keller continued on to play a 50 min set, which included some favourites: Freeker By the Speaker, Kidney in a Cooler (with Deep Elem Blues, Freakshow (by Ani DiFranco), Word Up (by Cameo), Tube Loop, as well as a few others. The crowd wasn't really paying much attention, opening slots are tough. But the sound was quite good, and loud, so it wasn't too tough to get into the Keller Groove.

Next, DMB took the stage and played a monster set that lasted 2 hours and 45 min including encore. Dave had a lot of surprises in store for me. They played some sick acid jazz groove, he rapped, he played a lap steel guitar, he even played a bit of bluegrass. I don't know that I've ever seen that much variety in a show before. The band is really on to something with this new acid jazzy groove they are working on, I hope they keep that up. Favourites from the set included: Warehouse (opener), Jimi Thing (the sickest I've ever heard), Too Much, and Rapunzel.

My faith has been renewed in the Dave Matthews Band, and I hope they continue to focus on making new and interesting music, instead of going for the pop music cash grab.

I probably would've been in better spirits had I got to see Keller. I just have a hard time understanding what makes it so great. They're not doing anything spectacular and 16'000 are pissing their Old Navy Kahkis. I think they have some good songs and I was really impressed to hear so many old songs. I just don't see what makes them better than most other bands.

Enough of this DMB talk. Tell me more about Keller's set, complete setlist? Instruments used? Was he enjoying himself, laughing and telling stories or was the large unattentive crowd bugging him, did he come on and play a song with DMB during their set? What of doughnuts?

He was definitely enjoying himself, but since he was opening he had to be short and sweet. No time for stories and other silliness. The only songs I can remember off hand were the ones I listed above, there were a couple more that I knew (but can't rememeber the names) and a couple more that I didn't know (pretty helpfull huh?). He played his 10 string acoustic, bass, electric guitar with crazy steel drum and horns effects, he had his triangle, whistle, and bong tubes, and of course he treated us to a little mouth flugel. A couple of times while he was getting his grand loops going, he danced around the stage a little. I love it, the music makes itself and he dances around in full bliss.

I wish we could have seen a full Keller show. But for a dmb opening slot, couldn't have really asked for much more. I was really hoping that Keller could have come out for the DMB encore, but unfortunatley the only collaboration was when Dave and Keller did an acoustic Watchtower which opened the show.

My thoughts on the show:

I was really pissed that Keller came on BEFORE the time printed on the ticket, so I missed about 20 minutes of his set - the ONLY set I was really interested in seeing. He's awesome, and I will be travelling to see him REAL soon!

DMB? Well, as anticipated I hated them. I enjoyed about one and a half songs, of course only the portions where there were no vocals. Not surprisingly these were their older songs too.

There ya have it.

Basher

had i known keller was playing, i would have switched my bela ticket for one of these tickets, and seen the tones in ottowa a few days. i suppose its a bit too late for that.

had a few friends get back raving 'some williams dude opened and he was NUTS!', i nearly smacked myself.