Jambands.ca

SHANNON LYON, ACOUSTI-CATS, THURS.JULY 15TH

kc

Firstly, I too hope you are feeling better Greg.

The show last night was great fun, one of the best things I've seen at Pepper Jacks Cafe in a long time. Thanks Ken.

It was only my second time seeing Shannon Lyon. And the first time I didn't know I was seeing him until I got home and looked on a message board.

I was at Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt founder Jay Farrar at Lee's Palace a month or so ago and the opener was really good, though I had no idea who he was. The only time he said anything was to say he had bought a ticket for the gig before he knew he was playing it, so he would have been there anyway.

Later that night I went home and found out on www.jayfarrar.net that it was in fact Shannon Lyon, which made me smile as MarcO and my girlfriend have been trying to get me into him for quite some time.

Seeing Lyon for the second time last night was amazing. Even though I don't know his material yet, he captivated me throughout the entire performance which was, short but sweet. I would have been willing to pay a more than the $4.00 next time around if it means he'll play a longer set.

One funny story Shannon told was about his song "Lake Huron" which when requested in Holland comes out as "Please play 'Lick your own'." He then said, "I'm thinking about getting T-shirts made." That would be quite funny.

I looked on his website www.shannonlyon.net and he's playing four or five gigs at his home town of Kitchener throughout the summer so I think I might head up there to see him again.

Also it was great to see the Acousticats again last night. I always love them at the Winchester in Dundas and this was no different. One difference from the Winchester to Pepper Jacks last night was they performed way more originals in the acoustic formate then I have heard before(I have to talk to the band or MarcO and get some of their material so I can determine the names of their songs. Everytime I ask no one seems to know what their songs are named, even though the person I am asking is singing every word to the song being played). The did perform "Willin'" and a medley of "Amazing Grace" and "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" to close a forty minute set.

Here's Shannon Lyon's setlist (to the best of my ability):

Start time 10:58pm

1. You Showed Me How (w/harmonica [harp])

2. Carry Me Down

3. Backyard Song

4. Olde Freightliner

5. Lake Huron (aka "Lick your own")

6. Tango Required (new song) (w/ harp)

7. Could You Be My Light

8. Barcelona

9. Yellow

10. Marie

11. (?) I'm afraid...Did you know, you turn me on

12. Sad Nights

13. Someday Mourning

14. Sometimes It Hurts

15. Since I'm Loving You (w/harp)

Encore: 16. Bound>Ring Of Fire>Bound

End time 12:05am (Total tim 1 hour and 7 minutes)

Tim,

I think I just was floored with memories & emotions last night and some ones I hadn't dealt with yet through the years,Shannon's show brought them all out when I got home,it was a good thing and well,very needed.I think I got humbled last night (if that makes sense).

I have a fair collection of Fat Cats (Click here) if your ever looking for any.And usually know most if not all the names to their songs.

Also thanks for the setlist,I'm pretty sure Shannon played "Since I'm Loving You" also last night.

Thanks Esau, I just might have to take you up on getting some FatCats material, thanks.

I did post "Since I'm Loving You" it was song fifteen, on my list. I'm just unsure about track eleven, those are some of the lyrics, can you help me out?

d'oh...I missed that somehow...argh,my head is swimming here...

Hmmm,not sure about that offhand,I recall it last night but can't remember the name of the song.I think it may have been of "Wandered" Shannon's latest release which I don't have and am vaguely familar with.

Song #11 is called "Did You Know That", from my personal favorite Lyon CD, Summer Blonde.

Funny - I've been listening to the Fatties most of my adult life and I really don't know the names of even half of their material, even though I could sing along with most of them?!?

Song #11 is called "Did You Know That", from my personal favorite Lyon CD, Summer Blonde.

Thank you.That had me hurting trying to remember that,and I should have known,man,I need to get that disc again also.One of those discs that got so much play when camping and evenually was lost in the mix at ghosttown never to be seen again.