Jambands.ca

Epiphone WildKat?

bradm

I'd like some opinions from any and all Sanctuarian guitar freaks. Retrotown Music here in Ottawa, has an Epiphone WildKat on sale.

For $500, it looks like a nice guitar: semi-acoustic (I think it's even classified as an archtop by Epiphone), P-90 pickups, Bigsby vibrato, and so on. I've been looking to get something at least semi-acoustic, and, because my main guitars all have only humbuckers, something with single coils might be nice to try.

The Harmony Central reviews of it seem pretty good (at least 8.2/10 in all categories, with 20 responses), and they seem to indicate it's pretty versatile.

I'm hoping to head in tonight after work to check it out (and to get some strings, which I need after breaking one in the first song of a two-hour jam session with no extra available :(, and maybe to have dinner at The Works :), which I haven't been to yet), but any opinions people had would be appreciated.

Aloha,

Brad

Semi-hollow + Bigsby usually equals a nice axe. I've said it before, I bought an Epiphone and immediately changed the pickups and the tuners. But both Pablo and Ahess mentioned in a previous thread that Epiphone has made upgrades in recent years.

it should be noted that the vibrato system is not a "bigsby" but Epiphone's version of a bigsby. We've had them here before and it is a cool guitar. I did have a couple of them that I sent back because of problems with the vibrato system getting stuck and not coming back to the right position, putting the guitar way out of tune. Although not every intrument had this problem. They do make a very similar guitar called the alley cat with a full size humbucker in the bridge and a mini humbucker at the neck with a hardtail bridge. I wouldn't pay $500.00 for a used Wildkat. We sell them new for $550.00

Brad - Not to slag a nice store with nice instruments but those guys were selling a used 2002 Epiphone "Dot" for about $600 bucks, almost on par with a new one if not moreso. I wasn't impressed with their lack of knowledge of used guitars and ultimately didn't buy from them because of it.

I'm hoping to head in tonight after work to check it out (and to get some strings, which I need after breaking one in the first song of a two-hour jam session with no extra available :(, and maybe to have dinner at The Works :), which I haven't been to yet), but any opinions people had would be appreciated.

Aloha,

Brad

Try the three ring binder, one of my personal fav's...

As for geeee-tars...I haven't got the faintest idear!

Thanks for the info, everybody, it's just what I was looking for. If I can get one new for $550, I'll pass on a used one.

If you haven't been to The Works lately, note that there is some serious construction going on along that section of Richmond Rd., and you have to take a precarious walk over gravel, dirt, and crumbled edges of pavement, dodging heavy machinery all the way, to reach the base of Mount Burger.

Having never been there before, I scanned the menu with quivering fingers and salivating, uh, saliva glands. What to choose, what to choose? Was it possible to starve with so many choices of what to eat? Yes, it was: I call it paralytic optionalis, the paralysis of having so many options that you can't make up your mind. You're afraid of choosing something, only to find out later that there was something else that you should have chosen that would have been better...decisions, decisions...

Thanks to rubberdinghy, though, I had an edge: one lone recommendation of what to choose which, when I read it, seemed compatible what my gastrointestinal tract processes well.

And it was a great burger. Forget the toppings, or the bun, the actual meat tasted great. It was cooked about medium (vague hints of pink, looking at me rosily from between the top and bottom of the bun), with cheese and mushrooms and sauce dripping just enough to remind you that eating should be about satisfaction and enjoyment (even messy satisfaction and enjoyment), without being hemmed in by the constraints of "polite society".

I also noted that they have a Blues Fest Burget, and when you order it, $1 is donated to the (IIRC) "Guitars In Schools" program.

Now all I need to do is find more reasons to have dinner in Westboro...no, no, I don't, The Works is reason enough...

Aloha,

Brad