Jambands.ca

All Good Festival not so good?

NewRider

"You remember the story of the little boy who cried wolf? In case you forgot, he was a little boy who cried for help because he said there was a wolf after him. Each time the people of the village came running, and each time there was no wolf. Eventually they got really tired of it. So when he calls for help because there's a real wolf, nobody takes him seriously. Nobody comes, because nobody cares. Do you see where I'm going with this Jim? What we have here is a shitwolf. Do you know what a shitwolf is? You never seem to have that crucial little thing called evidence. But each time you cry shitwolf, and each time I come running. No more, Jim. Never again. Now, I want you to tell me what the moral of the story is."

"Never cry shitwolf."

"That's right. Now get your sorry ass out of here or you're spending the night in the drunk tank."

I just wanted to add that some of these incidents often have happened in the NorthEast US. I come from Vancouver, and have seen a of shows on the West Coast, as well as a lot of shows in the fall/winter in the US from 97-00- places you've probably all been like Cleveland, Albany, Rochester, Long Island, Chicago etc..

Crowds out there are definitely more sketchy in a general sense, with more drugs, rowdiness, and plain indifference to rules and responsible partying. It seems things are at a different level now with young kids, but I think it's important to remember geography, and that just because certain areas and festivals have some bad seeds, it doesn't mean everyone or everywhere is going to be like that.

It seems readily apparent with the demise of Phish, a cornerpiece of this music scene, things are about to become fragmented for a few years, and the cross-over of communities and fans will continue to make the scene a bit testy.

On that note, I wouldn't be surprised if these idiots are there to see the Disco Biscuits.

greasyfizeek

No Berkfest this year, either.

It is with deep sadness that we announce that after 6 amazing summers, the annual Berkshire Mountain Music Festival will be taking this summer off. We apologize for the late announcement, and realized that most of you have already assumed this is the case. Due to current market conditions and a difficult year in 2003, we will be sitting on the sidelines this festival season.

We would like to express our sincerest gratitude to everyone who has been a part of this unique community over the years and helped to create such an extraordinary event. The staff, volunteers, artists, performers, and especially you, the patrons, have made Berkfest one of the most highly anticipated festivals of the summer. We, the organizers, share in your disappointment that we are unable to bring another incredible weekend of music to you in 2004.

In the absence of Berkfest, we encourage you to check out another fantastic festival coming up in the area next weekend. Camp Creek has been going strong for many years, and 2004 is no exception.

BTW, in case there is any more confusion here,I only read the article about All Good fest,but I never commented on it specificly.So,in reply to the two emails (from US folks/friends) I got,and them wondering what I meant by:

Sure,it does put a blackspot on the good folks who attend these festivals and the folks who are responsible with their illict activities,but those are not the folks I worry about.I worry about the idiots who spray people with chemicals,sell bad drugs and get violent.

This is an overall worry that I have and in NO WAY was I claiming this occured at All Good.Even though enough bullshit occured at it anyway,I don't want to see any of those things occur here in Canada and sadly it also reflects everyone in attendence,not just the assholes who do that stupid sh!t.The cops don't differentiate(sp?) between responsible drug users and ones that are not....

Take all the bad sh!t thats happened since spring when the fests started rolling full force,does it matter if it occured at this fest or that fest?

No,it matters that it occured period.At least to me.

So to answer the question and avoid any other confusion,no I never claimed anyone got sprayed at All Good,nor did I claim it happened at 10.000 lakes or every fest in the USA,but it has occured and more then a few times.

Once is too much,I thought that back in 1988 on GD tour when these assholes were spraying people with acid,it just isn;'t right,its just as bad as dropping a dose in someones (even a friends) beer or cola at a house party without them knowing,not right,nothing can justify it.