Jambands.ca

Alright Dead Fans, your recommendations please..

guigsy

So, i wanna stream some sh!t here while i fu©k around in the office, shuffling papers around, crunching numbers on a calculator, you know, looking busy without actually working... anyone got some good show recommendations? im thinking, late 60's-early 70's, early 80's (paisley, im lookin at you, kid), or 89-90... oh, and i'd like avoid drunken screaming donna as much as possible, i gotta keep the paint on the walls here...

thanks in advance...

For some fun, try 09-10-91, a great show with Branford Marsalis sitting in all night. His presence brings the rest of the players' standards up for a night of focused and inspired playing all around. The nicest late-period Black Throated Wind I've ever heard. I actually prefer set I to set II.

ohh, yeah MarcO, i got that one at home... a friend of mine gave me my first 5 dead shows when i took the train out to Vancouver a couple years ago, and 9.10.91 was one of them... at the time, fu©k, it killed me, i couldnt listen to it, just wasnt my head space at the time, but i went back to it about a year ago, and man, new appreciation... that first set is really brilliant.. for a while, all i had was the first set, and yes, i prefer set 1 as well... i think thats a great shakedown to open, branford really lights that one up.

What year (tour) was it when GD had the train gearing up during space? I think it was 91 myself,anyway,all I know is that whole tour the train got moving faster each show eventually goin full force near the end of the tour with the horn,whistles etc going off.

I'd reccomend grabbing a couple from then and listening to the drums>space it really was awesome.Had me reeling a few times while I was tripping out.

Side Note:

I'm searching for a show I heard years back but can only recall the space from it unfortunatley,although it was by far the craziest space I have ever heard,during it there was helicopter sounds,machine guns,screaming children yelling for their mothers,explosions etc...completely insane!!

If anyone knows which show it is please let me know,ever since that day I heard it in 93 at a friend of a friends place I have been longing to hear it again.

I know thats vague but its the best I can do.

What year (tour) was it when GD had the train gearing up during space? I think it was 91 myself,anyway,all I know is that whole tour the train got moving faster each show eventually goin full force near the end of the tour with the horn,whistles etc going off.

Summer 1992. Saw Billy break out the train horn at Rich Stadium, although the "classic" time was 6/20 at RFK, where the train horn led right into a sweet post-Space "Casey Jones"!

Can't help you with the other Space madness though.... sounds neat!

Cool,thanks,not sure why I thought it was 91,I didnt hit alot of summer tour in 92 (only early tour) but did catch a few good ones..the train was a real trip that year,I've always wanted to try to splice all the spaces together and listen to the build up as it went on...

I was in CA as it was with my uncle and his g/f at Big Bear and decided to (try to) tour my way home,missed the begining of the tour though,but I even met some canucks at shorline that took me in the bus and hauled me around,sweet/kind people.

Two outta three at Shoreline,all three at Silver Bowl,Rich Stadium and one Richfield.

I wanted to hit the Soldier field shows that year since I had been at the 91 show and was blown away at the venue but sadly I ran low on cash and the folks I was touring with had to come home to Canada,so,I did also.What a great year that was actually,really wish I had budgeted better while in Neveda,that was the killer for me finacially,but one serious freakin party thats for sure.

post# 4777

i never really allowed myself the opportunity to go on tour for anyone, really, but the stories i've heard from folks who have always make it sound like quite an awesome experience... i'd love to go on Slip tour one of these days, but im not sure it'd be quite the same.

Hey guigsy, I hear 05-08-77 is a REALLY killer show... ;)

Seriously though, might I recommend:

05-17-74 P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C.

1: Promised, Deal, Race Is On, Ramble On, Jack Straw, Dire Wolf, BIODTL, Loose Lucy, Big River, Roses, Mexicali, Row Jimmy, Playin

2: U. S. Blues, Me & My Uncle, Ship Of Fools, Money Money, China Cat> I Know You Rider, Greatest, Sugaree, Truckin> Nobody's Fault> Eyes> China Doll, Sugar Magnolia

first "Money Money"

Really good show, in my opinion, but I'm FAR from the expert...

Jerry: You know why the Grateful Dead are always on tour? Because they're all British intelligence agents. They're all spies. Jerry Garcia himself has a double 00 rating, just like James Bond.

Alice: Jerry Garcia is dead.

Jerry: That's what they want you to think.