Jambands.ca

BURNING SPEAR - ooooh yaaa!

StoneMtn

I saw Burning Spear last night at a tiny venue in Whistler. (I was so close to the stage that I could have reached out and touched him while he sang, and he had to jostle his way past me through the crowd to get on and off stage.) I think I only recognized a single song last night, but as always he blew me away. I hear he has two more North American dates before he heads home. I don't know where he's playing, but if he comes anywhere near any of you, you HAVE to go!) The word "legend" is thrown around a lot and very loosely. When I say that Winston Rodney a.k.a. the Burning Spear is a reggae legend, I really mean, the guy is a LEGEND.

last year it said it was his "last tour". pretty long tour.

He was asked by a local Whistler reporter if he is planning to pack it in after this tour, as he is turning 60 this year. He said that he will "definitely be playing Canada again". He also said that when he eventually does stop touring he plans to keep recording indefinitely.

The Victoria show was freakin' awesome. I had a great time, and, they played Man in the Hills for an encore!!

We weren't given an encore! I think the bar wouldn't allow it, because the band's manager was on stage riling up the crowd to cheer loudly, "if you want to hear some more". Then, after consulting with someone he said, "Well, if you want to hear some more, you'd better buy a CD or DVD on your way out. Good night!" ::