Jambands.ca

Cake Last Night (w/setlist for gentlemonkey)

Patchoulia

I'm so freakin' impressed with this band.

I had pretty low expectations for the show--not sure why. Even though I really enjoy their songs, I guess I was a little skeptical that they could pull off what they do on their albums onstage and add that something extra that you expect from a live show. Maybe I'm just a jambandsnob. Who knows.

And holy crap were they awesome! So much energy, great rapport with the audience, they sounded amazing--I kinda wish today was yesterday so I could see them again for the first time. They put on a fantastic show.

Here's the setlist--the questions marks indicate songs that I wrote down but are entirely illegible. Ya win some, ya lose some. :)

If anyone else was there and disagrees with what I've got, please advise--some of the other titles were very nearly illegible as well so I was just giving it my best guess.

Sheep Go To Heaven

Frank Sinatra

Love You Madly

Building A Religion

Stick Shifts and Safey Belts

Wheels

No Phone*

Shut the fu©k Up

Comanche

?

Guitar

?

Waiting

Never There

E:

Haze of Love

Carbon Monoxide

I Will Survive

*with audience participation (singalong)

I really enjoyed this show. I didn't know much Cake going in, but they really put on a good show. Man do I love the horns!

Funny story: One of my pet peeves is people that stand and chat in inappropriate places - like right outside the exit of Massey Hall when 2,000 people are trying to leave. Last night I let my frustration get the better of me and pushed through a guy doing just that and said "great place to stand!". Moments later I was informed by a laughing Stoned Phillips that I had just shoved last year's Canadian Idol Ryan Malcom! In retrospect I wish I shoved a little harder.

:)

The show sounds like it was great. And I know what you mean, Stoned Phillips, about them being surprisingly good. They sound so apathetic on their albums, that you almost think the show will be sort of boring. If it was anything like when I saw them they're just the opposite.

Glad everyone had a good time!

The show sounds like it was great. And I know what you mean, Stoned Phillips, about them being surprisingly good. They sound so apathetic on their albums, that you almost think the show will be sort of boring. If it was anything like when I saw them they're just the opposite.

You are exactly right!

Just got back to Ottawa from toronto. Last nights Cake show was a highlite of the year for me. They definitly put on an awsome show and JOhn Mcrea has such a good stage presence. That was my first time at massey hall and I thought the sound was fabulous and every seat in the place seemed like a great one to see the show.

later,

jake