Jambands.ca

She called them what??

h

PM slams Parrish's comments

Unhappy Democrats welcome in Canada, Martin jokes

Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish votes against the government and with an opposition motion to force a vote on the question of committing Canadian troops to fighting a war in Iraq, in this Feb.11, 2003 file photo. (CP/Tom Hanson)

OTTAWA (CP) - Prime Minister Paul Martin is condemning anti-U.S. comments by outspoken Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish.

Parrish told The Canadian Press on Wednesday that U.S. President George W. Bush is "war-like," and his re-election shows Americans are "out of step" with the rest of the world. On Thursday, Martin dismissed her comments as "clearly unacceptable."

"She speaks neither for the government, nor does she speak for the caucus," he said after a cabinet meeting.

Foreign Minister Pierre Pettigrew also brushed off Parrish's remarks, saying he prefers to focus on the good relations Canada has with the U.S.

Michael Kergin, Canada's ambassador to Washington, briefed cabinet on Canada-U.S. relations Thursday.

Kergin said he expects the process to settle trade irritants will begin anew now that the election is out of the way. But he gave no indication that he expects any quick action on such files as mad cow and softwood lumber.

Parrish's comments Wednesday came just hours after Martin warned his MPs in a private caucus meeting not to make incendiary comments in the wake of the U.S. election.

Parrish wasn't at the meeting and apparently didn't get the message.

Earlier this fall, Parrish publicly expressed her disdain for what she called the "coalition of the idiots" who back the U.S. missile defence plan.

Last year, she referred to the Bush administration as American "bastards."

why are people getting all shocked that someone called bush an idiot? he is an idiot and you don't need to be a member of any government to know it or have a right to say it. in fact, being a member of a government just means you have the responsibility to say it to assure your position as an elected official and not a blind minion of satan (aka bush). bbaarrggghhh. i'm still pissed. :(

Bush is an idiot but I don't think it's very diplomatic or classy of a government official to say so publicly.

Mudslinging shouldn't have a place in our international dealings. No matter who the US President is, we still need to find ways, somehow, to work with him.

Parrish should use more discretion.

I totally see what you're saying Marco - but do you think so because they are our next door neighbour and largest trading partner? Meaning do you think it would be more ok for say spain or germany to say something like that? I wonder if the world could use a little more honesty and straight talk...

I'm just wondering - playing devils advocate... All she said this time was that he is warlike and out of step with the feelings of the rest of the world - is that an overstatement?

again, just wondering

....I think the world leaders have to stand up and tell him he can't, and it starts by acknowledging that he's a complete moron.

See, I agree with the first thought but can't support the second sentiment in practice. A lot of politics is diplomacy and when that's gone, I fear it's a long road to get back to the table.

Hating Bush is common sense, I'm with you all there. But I'm not prepared to throw the baby out with the bathwater, our economy and shared histories are too important.

Martin is right to distance himself and his caucus from Parrish's statements, correct as they may be.

I'm a free-speech advocate but don't appreciate her painting the entire U.S. Population the way she did earlier this year. She thus painted herself as uninformed, uneducated and a complete bastard herself.

Bush may in fact be an idiot but if I were one of her constituents I wouldn't want Parrish to speak for me. This has much more to do with many MPs having enormous egos that need constant stroking..if they don't get it they whine like an infant so they get attention.

Those of you championing her comments need to ask yourself what possible good would have come from it if Martin et. al had stayed quiet? She'd have practiced her right to free speech and...?

Do you favour partnership or do you want Canada to go it alone? Do you want us to cut our ties with the U.S. or do you want us to make the best of this mess they're in now?

i agree - he has to distance himself from the loose cannons - but i appreciate having them. Shows that we are more laid back anyway... we've often had loud mouths in the past. But ya, she must be given limits - calling them bastards is pretty ridiculous

You can be a partner without bending over for him too though. I mean Jean Luc was always able to get his point across while being extremely diplomatic. ;)

I guess my questioning is coming from a fear that we might soon start just saying OK to anything he asks now. I was extremely proud of the fact that we refused to go to war even when all of their sports fans we booing through our national anthem and essentially calling us assholes

Sure Bush may be a putz, but do you think her calling him out on it and her other comments about American's are doing anything to re-open the border to Canadian beef, or ease the troubles of the softwood lumber trade. Absoultely not. She has to think about the larger picture here and not just her personal opinions, and that's what they are beacause I have heard and read about a lot of people in her own constituency who would like her to shut her yap. It would be naive of us to think that that US does not notice comment like these, as true as they may be.

I agree to a point that we are not on their radar and that in itself is a big enough problem, I personally don't think that these comments help or cause though (I f they are even paying attention at all as you pointed out) Also with the election being over there will be more time to pay attention to us perhaps, who knows.

I think Martin was right to condemn those comments... they were inappropriate... Parrish needs to use better judgement in voicing her personal opinions..

and Bush may not be considered an intellectual, but, I think we as critics should consider focusing our attention towards the REAL ENEMY and that being conservatism... Bush is a spokesperson of foreign and domestic policies that benefit those that support his party. For example, weapons producers, NRA, and oil companies. Bush is just doing his job. The concern we should have is how and why he is in power, and what is the reasoning behind U.S. foreign and domestic policies. Blame the people pulling the strings.

• 2 weeks later...