Jambands.ca

Saturday, May 3rd: Babylon, Ottawa

Phred

Daiquiri is no longer led by Glen Humplick. At least not when I saw them a couple of years ago. They are very Mr. Bungle-ish. Extremely tight and very cool rythmic difficult stuff with an amazing drumer. They are fun, but not the type of stuff I listen to anymore...

I am interested though and may pop by..

Hey Ottawa music fans. My friend's band is part of this Saturday's line-up at the Babylon. They are called From Fiction and kick serious ass. Toronto's Now Magazine actually rated their first ever gig as one of the best Toronto concerts of 2002!! I describe their sound as Garage-Free Jazz: Velvet Underground/The Who-meets Ornette Coleman. Great musicians with a unique approach to jam-based music. Very aggressive at times too.

From Fiction are scheduled to hit the stage 2nd. I've heard nothing but good things about New Jersey's Rye Coalition and Daiquiri is let by Tom Green's buddy, Glen Humplick. If I wasn't working, I'd make the trek to Ottawa for the show. I hope some of you can make it.

Here's the bill and ticket info:

Isis (Ipecac Records, Boston), Rye Coalition (Tiger Style Records, NJ), From Fiction (Toronto), Daiquiri (Ottawa) - AA/19+/8pm/$12 adv/door. Tickets available at CD Exchange, Organised Sound, Record Runner, www.tunevault.com/tickets

Hey Brad, they don't have a website yet. I've told them to get on that. Like most young bands, they are poor and a little nieve about getting their name out there; so no downloads either. All I can say about them is that they kick ass. The drummer is a Keith Moon clone and the guitarists duel like the band Television. Lots of time changes and instrumental grooves. This will be their first gig north and east of Toronto. I've seen them 3 times and love their sound.

Archived