Jambands.ca

Thumbs up to The Grateful Dead Movie DVD!

Palms

I feel like a giddy kid and had to share my thoughts on this...

I don't know if any of you have this yet or not, but I picked up a copy of the Grateful Dead Movie dvd last night and have to say they did a really good job with it. I've been watching the bonus disc so far - all the extra songs are in their entirety and there are a few surprises - Weather Report Suite and the China>Rider are really great, especially the segue Feeling Groovy jam in the latter. Nice Spanish Jam in the Other One too.

Documentary stuff looks really good. Donna is interviewed in the bonus stuff - weird to see her now. Lots of interview footage with Billy K. That's cool, since he almost never talks in any other footage I've seen with him in it. The 3 commercials for the Mars Hotel album are neat - it would have been a real mindfuck to have seen those on TV. David Lemieux gets interviewed about the making of the DVD, along with Jeffrey Norman.

Anyway, I don't wanna blow any surprises, but it's definitely worth getting. The original film looks and sounds better than ever too. I can't wait to hear it in full 5.1 surround somewhere soon (Can't afford one myself).

FWIW, I got my copy at Dr. Disc here in Hamilton for $40 - a bit more than through the Dead maybe, but probably almost the same price when shipping, etc is factored in. They had another copy left too, if anyone's interested.