Jambands.ca

U2 the Biggest Band in the World! Like it or not.

TimmyB

U2 are the Biggest Band in the World! Whether you like it or not.

from www.billboard.com

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. December 01, 2004, 10:45 AM ET

U2's 'Bomb' Explodes At No. 1

U2 earns its sixth No. 1 on The Billboard 200 this week with "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The Interscope set nearly doubled the band's previous best SoundScan era sales week (1991-present), moving 840,000 U.S. copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In 2000, the Irish quartet's Grammy-winning "All That You Can't Leave Behind" entered at No. 3 on sales of 428,000 copies; the set has a to-date total of 4.2 million.

U2 ends the two-week chart reign of labelmate Eminem's "Encore" (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope), which drops to No. 2 on a 46% tilt to sales of 471,000 copies. As previously reported, U2 also terminated the rapper's three-week stint at the top of the U.K. album chart, where "Atomic Bomb" landed at No. 1 after an international Nov. 22 release on Island.

The album's arrival was heralded by first single "Vertigo," which is featured in Apple Computer's iPod/iTunes TV commercial. The track spent four weeks atop Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks list, where it holds this week at No. 3. Additionally, the band made a series of high profile appearances in the week leading up to the album's release, including a performance on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" and an unannounced free outdoor show in New York.

U2, which first went to No. 1 on The Billboard 200 with 1987's "The Joshua Tree," has a worldwide sales total of more than 120 million, according to Interscope.

I like U2. I sat in the front row at their concert in Ohio Stadium in '95 and shook Bono's hand. Although I've not heard 'Bomb' I'm sure it is better than some of their other albums, which have been sadly a bit disappointing--particularly Zooropa, but POP even moreso. Looking forward to hearing the new release, though, as always. I pretty much will enjoy just about anything they've got up their sleeves. Definately one of my favourite bands of all time... I like them WAY more than the Beatles, for the record...

Let the public flogging begin...

Hey Steve from Cleveland,

Nice to meet you. And that's a cool experience you have had at a U2 concert back in the nineties.

To be clear I U2 are currently the biggest band in the world that are currently active. I feel that the Beatles are the biggest, greatest and best band of all time. But that's for another thread.

Also I feel that "Pop" is an underrated album, go back and listen to tracks like "Do You Feel Loved," "Last Night on Earth," "Gone" and especially "Please" which is a masterpiece.

U2 RULES!

hahaha, hilarious... U2'S THE BIGGEST!!! YEAYYYYYYYY!!!!! YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!! BILLBOARD SAID ITS TRUE, AND NOW YOU'VE PROVED IT TO ALL OF US!!

you're absolutely relentless. i still dont give a fu©k about U2, or whoever the hell is the biggest band in the world, because it doesnt mean anything. at one time N'Sync was the biggest band in the world, too.

totally agree with s from c except i don't think u2 is better than the beatles, it's just that they have been one of my favourite bands since my siblings started listening to them when i was about six. it's what i am familiar with and something more relevant to my generation. but the beatles were great too. i don't even think it's fair to compare them. it's like comparing socrates to chomsky. music and philosophy evolve over time and build upon the ideas and advancements of those who came before.

hahaha, hilarious... U2'S THE BIGGEST!!! YEAYYYYYYYY!!!!! YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!! BILLBOARD SAID ITS TRUE, AND NOW YOU'VE PROVED IT TO ALL OF US!!

you're absolutely relentless. i still dont give a fu©k about U2, or whoever the hell is the biggest band in the world, because it doesnt mean anything. at one time N'Sync was the biggest band in the world, too.

SO IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT U2 WHY IN THE fu©k ARE OPENING UP AND READING AND RESPONDING TO A THREAD ABOUT THEM I DON'T GET IT I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND MAYBE IT SEEMS LIKE I'M YELLING BUT I'M NOT REALLY YELLING AT YOU I'M JUST KINDA NOT SO SURE WHY YOU WOULD EVEN BOTHER OPENING THE THREAD AND ARE YOU REALLY COMPARING A ROCK BAND WITH 25 YEARS BEHIND THEM TO N'SYNC OH GOD I WANNA DIE ALL CAPS ALL CAPS ALL CAPS I'M WRITING IN ALL CAPS YEAH DUDE WATERMELON PADLOCKS COOKIE MONSTER POONTANG WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON I TAKE TWO SUGARS WITH MY COFFEE AND DON;T YOU FORGET IT AND GET A TAN WHILE YOU'RE AT IT YOU COULD USE SOME SUN ISN'T THE SLIP GREAT YEAH I THINK SO AND MY FRIEND SARA BOUGHT THE JUSTIN TIMBERLKAKE CD AND SAID IT WAS SURPRISINGLY PRETTY GOOD fu©k ME SO HARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow... fu©k yeah, thanks for the link...

Timmy, yeah, nice to meet you as well... I have listened to POP quite a bit, and Zooropa too, and actually Zooropa has grown on me more than POP has, but, like I eluded to, there are gems on EVERY U2 album... Pick any one and I can name a few of my fav's (if not the whole album JT & AB in particular). I was just saying that from a personal point of view, I was a bit disappointed with both Zooropa and POP. That's not to say that I hate the albums or think u2 sucks for making them, just that I wasn't into that 'direction' their music took during that period. Maybe I just didn't 'get' it...

As for the concert, yeah it was KICK-ASS! It was actually when they were touring in support of POP. I attended OSU, and they had a lottery for students to buy tix. My best friend and roommate WON the lottery. I.E. they started selling tickets beginning with his number (so his were the first 4 tix sold, front row center). People have told me I look like Bono since I was about 15 or 16, (Strangely enough, people have also said I look like Lennon, and Robert Englund, the guy that plays freddy (Without the make-up, of course)). Anyways, so I threw on my fly glasses and head to the show. They come out and start the first song, and Bono's got that boxer-guy type warm up suit on, and he starts jumping around and what not, looks at me, and comes right down to the end of the stage, jumps down onto the ledge in front of the stage and extends his hand to me. I shook it and he climbed back up and proceeded with the concert. Fascinating experience for me, to be quite honest... I think my buddy's got a picture of the moment, even... Anyway, peas, and regards from across the lake...

And by the way, TimmyB, somewhere I have a CD called Early Contract Recordings, which is a demo they did for Island records before they were signed. Has some songs you've no doubt heard, and some you might not have. I'll see if I can dig it out and let you know about getting you a copy if you're interested. You can PM me your addy of you want just in case and I'll let you know.

totally agree with s from c except i don't think u2 is better than the beatles.

Whoops... I did NOT mean to imply that I think that U2 are better than the beatles... I don't really like to make those comparisons, especially as bokonon points out, between apples and oranges... I merely meant that I REALLY like U2 and I DON'T really like the Beatles (Which is still an unpopular opinion, I realize). And for the record, I respect them and what they did, and they changed rock-n-roll and yada, yada, yada. I just don't really get into the music that much, just never have... Especially their early stuff which is PAINFUL for me to listen to... They do have plenty of stuff that I know, and sometimes sing along to, and what not. But, again as bokonon eluded to, respect for and admiration of are two wholly seperate things...

By the way, how've you been chili-girl?

S from C

WELL STOP YELLING AT ME I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU ALL YOU DO IS YELL AT ME AND I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE I'M KINDA SENSITIVE NOT AS SENSITIVE AS CANNED BEATS BECAUSE HE'S A REEEAAAALLLLL SENSITIVE GUY BUT WHO KNOWS HOW HE BECAME THE PERSON HE IS TODAY MAYBE I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE fu©k I'M TALKING ABOUT BUT I WON'T LET THAT STOP ME SO STOP YELLING AT ME YOU'RE JUST LIKE MY DAD MARC YOU'RE A DISAPPOINTMENT MARC WHY DID YOU STEAL CHANGE FROM MY DRESSER MARC STOP STABBING THE MAILMAN IT NEVER STOPS AND YOU JUST STAND THERE ALL HAIRY AND PALE YELLING AT ME LIKE YOU'RE JUST A WIDE OPEN MOUTH WITH LEGS OR A TRUMPET OR AN NEVER ENDING FART LIKE A DIDGEREGOO OR HOWEVER THE fu©k YOU SPELL THAT DAMN THING YOU WANT BLOOD I'LL GIVE YOU BLOOD AND YOU SURE WOULD LIKE THE TASTE OF THAT WOULDN'T YOU AND WHY THE fu©k AREN'T I WORKING AND YEAH TIM THANKS FOR STARTING THIS THREAD YOU FUCKNUT MY GOD MY STOMACH IS BLOATED FROM MY HUGE LUNCH ALL I WANNA DO IS NAP I HOPE BONO COMES OVER TO YOUR HOUSE AND TAKES YOU FOR A DRIVE SO YOU CAN YELL AT HIM LIKE YOU'RE YELLING AT ME I BET HE'D SAY STOP YELLING GUIGSY WHY SO UPTIGHT HERE LISTEN TO SOME BEATLES AND RELAX BUT NO YOU'D BE ALL LIKE I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO YELL IF I WANT ANDF HE'S BE LIKE WELL PLEASE STOP YELLING OR I'LL CRY AND YOU'D BE ALL CRY YOU BITCH CRY YOUR IRISH TEARS SO STOP IT BECAUSE I'M NICE AND YOU'RE NICE AND MAYBE WE SHOULD JUST HUG OR SOMETHING DAMNIT.

U2 are the Biggest Band in the World! Whether you like it or not.

from www.billboard.com

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. December 01, 2004, 10:45 AM ET

U2's 'Bomb' Explodes At No. 1

U2 earns its sixth No. 1 on The Billboard 200 this week with "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." The Interscope set nearly doubled the band's previous best SoundScan era sales week (1991-present), moving 840,000 U.S. copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In 2000, the Irish quartet's Grammy-winning "All That You Can't Leave Behind" entered at No. 3 on sales of 428,000 copies; the set has a to-date total of 4.2 million.

U2 ends the two-week chart reign of labelmate Eminem's "Encore" (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope), which drops to No. 2 on a 46% tilt to sales of 471,000 copies. As previously reported, U2 also terminated the rapper's three-week stint at the top of the U.K. album chart, where "Atomic Bomb" landed at No. 1 after an international Nov. 22 release on Island.

The album's arrival was heralded by first single "Vertigo," which is featured in Apple Computer's iPod/iTunes TV commercial. The track spent four weeks atop Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks list, where it holds this week at No. 3. Additionally, the band made a series of high profile appearances in the week leading up to the album's release, including a performance on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" and an unannounced free outdoor show in New York.

U2, which first went to No. 1 on The Billboard 200 with 1987's "The Joshua Tree," has a worldwide sales total of more than 120 million, according to Interscope.

wow, hey Ashley Simpson is on the chart too!!! 18 weeks!!!! maybe we should start a thread for her too....hmmmm, wait a minute, I think we already have! ::

wow, hey Ashley Simpson is on the chart too!!! 18 weeks!!!! maybe we should start a thread for her too....hmmmm, wait a minute, I think we already have! ::

So based on your thesis then all bands on the charts are not good.

That's what that statement means right?

Well if that's the case then the Grateful Dead are not good either, as they've been on the charts from the beginning to the end of their studio releases.

Grateful Dead #73, Anthem of the Sun #87, Aoxomoxa #73, Live/Dead #64, Workingman's Dead #27, American Beauty #30, Historic Daed #154, Grateful Dead (live) #25, Europe '72 #24, History of the Grateful Dead Volume 1 (Bears Choice) #60, Wake of the Flood #18, The Best of/Skeletons From the Closet #75, Grateful Dead From the Mars Hotel #16, Blues for Allah #12, Steal Your Face #56, What a Long Strange Trip It's Been: The Best of the Grateful Dead #121, Terrapin Station #28, Shakedown Street #41, Go To Heaven #23, Reckoning #43, Dead Set #29, In the Dark #6, Built to Last #27, Without a Net #43

If you think every artist that made the charts isn't good than you wouldn't like too many artists. Including the aforementioned Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers Band, Santana, Little Feat, Phish, Widespread Panic, Primus and many, many more.

was my comment derrogatory???? ::

Why don't you let me know if your comments were derogatory (one "r" not two)?

By your statement about Ashlee Simpson (that's with an "e" at the end not a "y") it seems to me that you meant that if an artist sells a lot of albums and makes the charts they are therefore not very good.

Well as I said before the Grateful Dead charted with every one of their studio albums and nearly all of their live albums as well, so I guess they are not very good either. You better stop listening to that pop(ular) band the Grateful Dead.