Jambands.ca

Tarig Abubakar

Velvet

Can't say that I know him, mon ami but:

On January 28, 1998, Sudanese saxophonist-vocalist Tarig Abubakar was killed in a car accident on his way to catch a flight from his native country to his home in Canada. This piece was commissioned by Rhythm Music magazine, but never published

http://www.jazzhouse.org/gone/lastpost2.php3?edit=920652971

more...

Ya, I heard about Tarig's death when it happened. He was on some tiny plane flying within Africa, I believe. I was really taken aback. He was a really nice, down-to-earth, spiritual, cool guy. A serious loss. :(

And regarding the other musician mentioned here and whether he plays East of Vancouver, Velvet and I saw Alpha Yaya Diallo in Ottawa at the National Gallery, but that was long ago.

I didn't read the article, and I can't remember where I heard the news; however, I know I was told he was on a plane that went down. That doesn't mean I'm right, but, that was what I was told.

So, you remember the Alpha Yaya Diallo fiasco, eh? You will recall that we didn't actually go together, but were at the same show. I distinctly remember calling you that evening...

Velvet: "So, how did you like the show?"

StoneMtn: "That was great, but I was surprised he didn't play drums."

Velvet: "You know that was the wrong guy, eh? Yaya Diallo is a completely different person than Alpha Yaya Diallo."

D'oh!