Jambands.ca

Murder On Main !?!?!

Freeker

Apparently on our quiet little street yesterday someone was murdered just 2 houses down. The cops and media were all over the place.But I can't find any real info about it anywhere,was hoping some of you news hawks might be able to help point me in the way of some details. I'm really just wondering if they caught the guy or not :(

nevemind....

Woman Killed in Condo

Man arrested after tip leads to body in bed

By HOLLY LAKE and DEREK PUDDICOMBE

OTTAWA POLICE last night had a 36-year-old man in custody following the murder of a woman in an upscale downtown condo. The body of Dorothy Halton, 40, was discovered yesterday in Unit 303 at 10 Main St. after police had received a tip about a possible death at around 11 a.m.

Fire crews were called to force open the locked door and Halton was found dead in her bed, covered by blankets.

Police spokeswoman Sgt. Monique Ackland said last night the victim and the suspect were known to each other, but she said they were not in a husband-and-wife relationship.

"It's not random, that I can tell you. They are known to each other, that much I can say," Ackland said.

10TH MURDER

The suspect was arrested without incident in downtown Ottawa at about 8:30 p.m. last night.

The killing is the 10th murder in Ottawa this year.

Major crime and forensic identification officers spent yesterday combing the scene and searching a third-floor stairwell.

A neighbour in the building, called Echo on Canal and occupied mainly by middle-aged professionals, had speculated whoever was responsible must have known Halton because the doors of the units cannot be locked from the inside and pulled shut.

"You need a key to lock the outside door," said the second-floor resident. "It's sort of scary. It makes me nervous just thinking about it. Who would ever think something like that would happen?"

Ken Hum, a hairdresser at HBK Hair Koncepts across the street from the scene, was chatting with a client yesterday morning when their conversation was interrupted by police cars racing to the front of the building.

"We were just chit-chatting when we saw all the cars and an ambulance pull up," said Hum.

It's not an everyday scene that Hum or the salon staff are used to in the affluent neighbourhood by the Rideau Canal.

"I did have an unsettling feeling when this happened," said Hum. "I know this type of thing happens, but I guess it can happen anywhere."

Hours after Halton's body had been found, residents still had few details. A woman entering the building late in the afternoon was unaware of any disturbance.

"I didn't hear anything," said the woman, who didn't give her name. "I hope (the killer's) not still here."

The killing came five days after Ottawa women came together during the annual Dec. 6 ceremony to mourn violence against women.

I read about this in the paper this morning. Apparently, it was her boyfriend. He was trying to break up with her, but he killed her instead, or something along those lines.

Pretty scary, but at least it's good to know that there's not some crazy person murdering random people around Main St!