Jambands.ca

"Jam Cruise 3" - Article about the busts.

Esau

you know something, last year, when we were on it, I actually (while tripping) was paranoid that there was no way that they were going to allow us to get away with it and when we headed back to the States, they were going to bust all of us. It was literally that insane. Anyhow, I agree, this is going in circles, it is rather pointless. However, I do sympathize, I happen to know alot of good people that could be charged with possession of two grams of pot. And I also made a number of friends on last year's trip, and I would hate to see their picture on the Internet in state issued threads, just because they wanted to party.

anyhow, I hope everyone still has a great time on the boat... what an experience. ::

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this part of the article disturbing, although I really shouldn't be surprised.

Local U.S. Customs officials say the chat rooms of the "Jam Cruise" website had contributors offering suggestions of how passengers could safely sneak their stash aboard ship.

Local dentist facing drug charges

By TRACI MOYER

Tribune writer

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Kokomo dentist Dr. Matthew Pate traveled to Florida to embark on an ocean cruise last week, but Jacksonville, Fla. police and U.S. Customs agents made sure he never got on the boat.

Pate, 38, was arrested at the dock, charged with trying to smuggle 18 hits of ecstacy and marijuana onto the ship. Pate now faces a felony charge of possession of a controlled substance and a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge.

Police said they suspected individuals might try to carry drugs onto the ship, which was leaving Jacksonville for the four-day Jam Cruise 3, a floating music festival featuring the popular String Cheese Incident rock band. Postings to a Jam Cruise-related Web site allegedly encouraged passengers to bring drugs onto the ship, police said.

Ken Jefferson, spokesperson for the Jacksonville Sheriff's Department, said postings on the Web site -- www.jamcruise.com -- said various drugs would be available including ecstacy, cocaine, heroin, hashish and brownies laced with marijuana.

"It was open season for blatant illegal drug use," Jefferson said. "We were very fortunate to learn about this prior to the ship leaving.

"The cruise was scheduled to leave Thursday and when it came back today we had officers waiting. There were no additional arrests, but one person was transported to the hospital for an overdose."

Jefferson said the arrests were a cooperative operation with the Jacksonville sheriff's Seaport Security Unit and custom officials. Passengers were apprehended by law enforcement at the Ed Austin Cruise Terminalin Jacksonville.

Pate and other passengers were about to board the Carnival Celebration, a foreign-flagged cruise ship from Nassau, Bahamas, when officers brought out a narcotic-sniffing dog and began screening the passengers.

According to police reports, the dog identified Pate as possibly carrying drugs in his pants.

"The defendant said he told the customs officers that soon after the dog alerted he told them he had marijuana on his person," the report says.

Pate was transported to the Duval County Pre-trial Detention Center where he was released Friday evening.

Shelly Mazo, director of the Indiana State Board of Dentistry, said she will be investigating the allegations and said it was possible she would file a complaint with the Indiana Attorney General's office.

"Usually for grounds like that we would require an emergency suspension of his license," Mazo said. "Would you want someone taking those drugs to put a high speed drill in your mouth? That is something that could happen and the board is empowered to protect the public -- that is what we are here for."

Mazo said because health professionals have been entrusted with people's lives, they have to be held to a higher set of professional standards.

Pate's dentistry, 2705 S. Berkley Road Suite 2-B, said Pate was on vacation and will be back today.

Hans Pate, Matthew's brother, said his brother, acting on the advice of his attorney, declined to comment on the allegations with the exception to say he is not guilty.

Traci Moyer may be reached via e-mail at traci.moyer@kokomotribune.com or by phone at (765) 854-6714.

http://www.kokomotribune.com/story.asp?id=6198