Jambands.ca

Guitar Geeks enter V2.

boogieknight

thanks cannedbeats. that wasabi pedal sounds cool, I love the reverse delay, it gives me acid flashbacks. I'm gonna try out these suggestions next chance I get..

Interesting comp talk as well. I've been experimenting having my compressor/sustainer in different locations in my chain and have found it's best right after the wah, but before everything else (tube screamer, delay, envelope filter, tuner). I use the Guyotone ST2 - it's got a great sound, a little touchy when you adjust the knobs, but great once you find the sweet spot.

wow lots to chew on this morning. so here goes....

anybody know of any products that 'make you sound better'

PRACTICE ::

...ideally i'd hit 11hz and go nice and crisp

THE BROWN NOTE ::

I've always been impressed by John Fogerty who, to this day, still uses absolutely no gadgets or technology whatsoever. Guitar > (volume pedal) > amplifier.

JF does rock. CCR is one of those bands that is so good and have been played so much that you almost take them for granted. He is an amazing song writer. Canned Beats and i went to school together for studio recording which is why we love all the gadget talk. Once the gear bug has bitten then it's nothing but rehab for us gear junkies. The bottom line is that tone really comes from your soul and is expressed through you body to your guitar. if your soul,(and countless hour of commitment[re:practice])aren't in it then all the effects in the world aren't going to make you sound better.

As for compressor, i've used them in all diferent kind of spots but found that i like them best as a tool for tracking or if you want that squashed tele nashville sound (dynacomp) or those srceaming sustains (ross). I have been getting lots of recommondations for analogmans bi-comp. lots of positive reviews. also menatone make a comp(JAC) based on the LA 2A. very trasperant that just gives you boost without affecting your tone.

Those danalectros look cool but i can't hear them b/c i can't stand real player. it sucks. :P

Pablo that Fulltone looks sweet, but I'm trying to decipher the delay gauge on top. What kind of delay can you get with it? "35" at the top end must mean 350ms, is that right? I see on their site they've linked to the Boss site and said "If you want a pedal for the TTE, buy this one!" and linked to the standard Boss tap-tempo. I assume they mean a pedal to engage the thing, not for tap tempo. Looks f-in cool though, I wonder if I can play one at Songbird.

I have a Danelectro Reverse Delay, I got it with a few others in a package. I like it enough to keep it, but it doesn't sit on my pedalboard at the moment, I feel like I really have no practical live application for it. I did fool around with it in the studio once. I did a heavy version of I'm a Ram, I was going more for the Big Sugar version than the Rev Al Green's. Here's a short clip, you'll hear when the sucker kicks in, it's pretty cool I think.

http://therev.spin45.net/ramedit.mp3

I've played with one of those Dano Wasabi delays, I thought it was alright, but the switches all looked so dinky and felt kind of cheap. There was one aspect to it that was like a pushbutton-light up thing, the whole thing just reaked of cheap construction/huge price markup to me. Maybe I should set about building a tape delay with 900ms - 1s delay time, with controllable delay time through an expression pedal. Sounds like a fun project...that will eat up most of my time and money. I think I'll go play one of those Fulltones :D.

rev, songbird in toronto should have one. they were really really hard to get for about the first year maybe. I couldn't get enough of them. Things seem to have tapered off a bit and some stores have them in stock.

Thanks dude. I used to live above a restaurant smack in between Songbird and Capsule on Queen W. Best time of my life, but I can't count how many times I almost spent my rent on new gear. "Well let's see, would probably be able to hit up parents for a hundred bucks or so...could steal the rest from petty cash at work...NO! NO REV! Rent first, THEN guitars!"

Thanks for the info dude, I can't wait to mess with one.

As far as pedal compressors go, I've never used one in my setup but I've been threatning to buy a BicompROSSer or a Keeley. The bicomp has the ross side of course, but the other side is a clone of an orange squeezer which is apparently great. I was very close to getting one and then I just bailed on it. The keeley does the ross thing really well. They're both true bypass as well.

as for pickups, I've got a set of rio grande big bottom in a strat and I think they sound really great. Totally a vintage vibe, wound on a sewing machine by tobacco chewing rednecks in texas. Other than that all I have is heresay. Apparently Kinman pickups from Australia are fantastic as well as Tom Anderson pickups, and Barden pickups which have two coils but one is a dummy coil used to cancel out any noise. So single coil sound with no annoying hum.... hmmm after looking up Barden pickups for a picture I discovered they seem to be out of business. Too bad.

Ya i think if i was going to get a pedal compressor it would the bi-comp. a keely would be cool but i think the bi-comp would offer more options.

Has anyone used or heard a guitar with the Buzz Feiten Tuning System? sounds pretty interesting with some pretty big indorsments.

"For as long as I can remember, the guitars that my fellow classical guitarists and I have played always sounded slightly out-of-tune and I just assumed that tuning our instruments was always a matter of compromise - that they would never sound perfectly in tune in the upper frets if the open strings were in pitch. Having recently discovered Buzz Feiten's amazing system, I realize that what I had always believed is untrue. A guitar can be in tune in any fret! I would highly recommend his revolutionary approach to guitar tuning for any performer or builder, no matter what style. It will change your life. - Liona Boyd

I've been playing guitar since I was six years old, and it's finally in tune. Congratulations." - Larry Carlton

here's the link in tune

Tuning system aside, even his method of tuning by ear is different than what I and I'm sure most do (Tuning E to a pitch, then doing the ol 5-5-5-4-5 routine)

Tuning by Ear

Electrics Gutars

1st - E - Tune open string to pitch

2nd - B - Tune open B string (2nd) to open E string (1st), until they are "beatless"

3rd - G - press the 2nd fret A, and tune that note to the open E string (1st) "beatless"

4th - D - press the 14th fret E, and tune that note to the open E string (1st) "beatless"

* 5th - A - play the 7th fret harmonic, and tune that unison to the open E string (1st) "beatless"

* 6th - E - play the 5th fret harmonic, and tune that unison to the open E string (1st) "beatless"

* Once you've tuned the A and low E string (6th) using harmonics, check the A by playing a 2nd fret B note and check that octave with the open B string (2nd)

Check the low E string (6th) by playing the 7th fret B note and check that octave with the open string B string (2nd).

Acoustic Guitars

1st - E - tune open string to pitch

2nd - B - tune open string to open E string (1st) "beatless"

3rd - G - press the 9th fret E and tune to open E string (1st) "beatless"

* 4th - D - press the 9th fret B, and tune to the open B string (2nd) "beatless"

5th - A - play the 7th fret harmonic, and tune to the open E string (1st)

* 6th - E - play the 5th fret harmonic, and tune to the open E string (1st)

* Once you're tuned the D string using the fretted B note, check the 2nd fret E against the High E string (1st) octave.

* Once you're tuned the low E string (6th) using the 5th fret harmonic, check the open low E string (6th) against the 2nd fret E note on the D string.

If you are close to being in tune, sometimes it's hard to tell if a fretted note is sharp or flat. Try bending the note slightly. If it gets worse, (more beating) it's a little sharp, if it gets better it's a little flat.

DO NOT USE THE OLD METHOD OF COMPARING THE FRETTED A, D and G with the open A,D and G. It is not as reliable and it is more difficult to hear. Also, stay away from harmonics except as described above; they are also unreliable.

12 Strings

1.) Tune the 2nd string of each "pair" of strings using the methods described above.

2.) To tune the 1st string of each pair (the octave string), use the following methods

a) Using an electronic tuner: Tune normally.

B) Using a Korg D-T-7: Set the rear slider switch to "Chromatic", and tune normally.

c) Tuning by ear: Tune the 1st string of each "pair" to the lower octave, "beatless". Tune the 1ist E and B strings (unisons) to the 2nd E and B strings "beatless".

not 'how to tune' but 'any feedback about this advance in instrument technology'

i still don't get the buzz feiten but if you can retrofit an axe on the cheap, i say try it. it wouldn't hurt.

i have really liked playing every guitar i played with buzz feiten...mostly washburns, but i know i tried a couple of guitars that weren't buzz feiten. check it out if you're ever in a guitar shop.

CB, did you notice a difference in the tuning of the guitar? mostly the problem lies in open chords. I really notice it on the open 'A' chord. The guitar can have a great set up, good intonation between the open string and the twelth fret but play an open A and you can hear that the chord is slightly out of tune. not really a big thing but when you hear the different notes of a chord not matching up it is really fu©king annoying. I would be sweet not to have this problem. I would like to hear it in action before i drop 200 bones to do it. I guess i'm not 100% convinced. I'm gonna have to go check out some washburns.

Yeah I know your talking about a tuning system, hence "tuning system aside". I'm not familiar with this one but thought most of them were only used on the shredder guitars.

This thread has introduced me to alot of gear I can't afford.

I would ask though what the purpose of an eq is if you can set those things directly on an amp. In what scenarios would you need to radically change band settings? Not rhetorical.

I

i don't really use an eq pedal. some people use them to change tones mid-solo or what not. I'll use eq when tracking in order to get the guitar to fit in nicely with a mix. this does bring up a nice topic though, how do you guys set the eq on your amps. I pretty much have them set straight up the middle. i like to hear the natural tone of the guitar. sometimes i add a little more mids or bass depending if i'm playing a solid or hollowbody.

if your looking for something more rhetorical then that you'll have to wait for caaned beats to reply :)