Jambands.ca

Pat Metheny Tomorrow?

secondtube

I'll be seeing him in Vancouver one week from tomorrow. If you had the time, SecondTube, I wouldn't mind a short (or even long) review of tomorrow's show.

Are you a big fan? I don't know his music that well, but I've obtained about 30 albums online and will be mighty familiar by the show. Are you familiar enough with his music that you can actually get his set list down? Also, does he do the same show every night or does he mix it up?

but I've obtained about 30 albums online

WOW! where did u find those?

As for being familiar w/ his material....sorta....i could probably name about six or seven of his most popular songs, but the man has hundreds...

I'll see what i can do about a setlist, but a review i will do...i'll bring a little notepad a jot some stuff down...

i usually get so blown away by the musicians i forget half the killer sh!t i witness...

::

A review from a show this tour:

Guitarist Pat Metheny's new disc is one 68-minute composition in four ambitious parts. Conceived partly as a protest against a society flogged by sound bites and quick cable images, the recording burrows in deep while hitting the strike zone of a wide audience. The set sounds initially like sophisticated smooth jazz, but the compositional breadth and clean, laserlike soloing take matters to another level. The music proceeds with Aaron Copland-style clarity and reaches some serious zeniths. The session unites Metheny with his collaborators of more than two decades, keyboardist Lyle Mays and bassist Steve Rodby, along with two veterans of Metheny's 2002 CD, Speaking of Now: drummer Antonio Sanchez and trumpeter/vocalist Cuong Vu. Added for this set is harmonica player Gregoire Maret, whose homespun tones fit right in. The feel is perhaps a touch too glorious, as if this could be the long-lost and jazzy soundtrack to the movie On Golden Pond. Yet the set is a cool artifact that sizzles on the solos.

Among the albums I have, I did get his recent one. I haven't listened to it yet.

Where did I get his 30 albums? I have a younger brother who runs a computer company. You will never find anyone more capable of locating music online, and he got those for me. He places them on his FTP server and I download them. (I'm a lucky guy!)

They're all in high-quality .mp3. I plan to embark on listening to them tonight. If you're interested, PM me an address, and as I listen to them and see what I like, I'll burn some good stuff to disc for you and mail them out. I'll leave it in .mp3 though (192 kbps) so that I can hopefully send you a fair amount on relatively few discs.

Have fun tomorrow!

I'll be seeing him in Vancouver one week from tomorrow.

I'm going to the Queen E show as well with a little Lotus afterwards downstairs in the Media Club.

Last Time I saw Pat Methaney in Vancouer (1998 I think) He played all of the tunes off his most recent album (Imaginary Day at that time) and a couple of other favourites as well.