Jambands.ca

caribou! tonight (weds) ottawa!

meggo

Make sure to check out the Russian Futurists as well. They're opening... featuring Scotty Farmer (formerly of BNB) on keys. Matt Hart (the man behind the machine!) and he are cousins. See if you can spot the resemblence! The RFs just got back from 5 weeks of touring Spain / Italy... and they're now starting off a monster tour of N.America w/ Caribou.

Caribou puts on an execellent show... likely be treated to some beauty backdrop imagery!!

Enjoy... :)

the 2 times i saw them the show was SEQUENCED to the video. i thought it was very very cool, but the same show 2 times going from big venue (lees palace to call the office in London) was a huge let down, as that band needs a serious system to have that dreamy spacey effect on your senses.

i loved what i saw and feel bad to have missed caribou AND sharon jones this week in ottawa.

as for the russian futurists...they were...nifty...

very important band to a lot of people but the pretty getup and oh so synthy tones didn't quite make me appreciate their casio styles like dan snaith sure does. must be something i didn't pay attention to i guess. good for them though. i know i'm not onstage.

RF - great synth pop. Reminds me of symthsized Mercury Rev and a much more poppier Trans-era Neil Young

The new Caribou jumps back even further soundwise than that last album under the Manitoba name. That record was total My Bloody Valentine-style shoegaze and now they sound like Silver Apples at time! It's a fun, fun record although their live shows never really did it for me.

Are the Junior Boys playing too? Great Talk Talk - inspired electro-pop with dancebeats.

Russian Futurists - cute and fun. They've been coming up in all types of discussions over the last few months, and I finally got the opportunity to hear them. Best part is that they really look like they're having a good time, and that's contagious. Nice way to start off the show, though I sorta wish they would've had second billing instead of the opening spot, for reasons below ...

Junior Boys - erm, maybe the irony just runs so deep these days that it doesn't need to be acknowledged. But I kept hoping for at least a smirk or wink from the boys on stage ... I mean, they don't really /mean/ it, do they? Or ... do ... they? ... Those beats, with those sounds, with those synth lines ... and yet, they look so serious about it all. Did he really just ask me to hold him like a baby? It would make for a great 'in' joke, if I suspected it was a joke at all. (and I like Talk Talk, FWIW). I'm either not jaded enough these days, or I'm too jaded in all the wrong ways. Either way, big *shrug*.

Caribou - agreed with Palms that "Up In Flames" had a lot of shoegazery - as well as a Spiritualized kinda vibe - going on. I was hoping for a bit of the groove of "Start Breaking My Heart" on the new record, which I didn't really find, but I found something else to get into. The show was ... well ... fantastic. They hit pieces of all three, and it flowed *well*. Felt short, though, but I imagine if I was drumming like that, I wouldn't be able to keep it up all night either. I really like that they choose to keep things like the vocals pre-recorded and do the rhythms live. The safe and obvious choice, if you've only got three people up there playing, is to do it the other way around, but it really works this way. It was most definately worth checking out!

(cheers to the Silver Apples reference, Palms)

• 2 weeks later...

just came across this on express online... heh heh...

3 A.M.

Matthew Harrison

I recently purchased a used copy of the Dandy Warhols' Come Down album to replace one that got jacked from my car earlier this winter. A ticket stub for one of their first shows in Ottawa fell out. Someone had been so wowed by the show that they felt the need to stash away proof they had been there. This is a time-capsule moment, something so magical and mind-blowing that it gives you bragging rights for the rest of your days.

Seeing Hamilton's Junior Boys play their first show in Ottawa last Wednesday night at Babylon was one of those rare moments. The Boys weren't exactly what you'd expect from listening to their debut Last Exit-a sleek, Timberland-like, new wave and R&B influenced bastardization of U.K. speed garage. But throughout their brief set, the rough-looking and bearded lead singer Jeremy Greenspan helped prove the Boys could translate the melancholic mellowness of an armchair album into a fist-pumpin', hand-clappin' slice of Slowdive meets New Order heaven. It's rare a band's early live stuff is better than their actual recordings. I briefly spoke to Greenspan after the show and he promises they'll be back.

If you weren't there, you blew it. If you were, save whatever memorabilia you have and tuck it away somewhere safe-and for goodness sakes, check your CDs before selling them.

XXX