Jambands.ca

I saw Hitchikers Guide to the Galxy

Mr. Photogeek

...and I was really underwhelmed. Let me first say that I am a huge fan of the book...read it upwards of 15 times over the years and I may be slightly biased.

Here are some of my feelings (a few slight spoilers if you havn't read the book)...

The look:

Makeup, costumes, animation and over-all look (of course how hard is it to get PJ's and a bath robe right?? Just kidding) were fantastic. I do think Hammer and Tongs (and the rest of the crew) captured the look and style of the Hitchhikers Guide quite well...the Vogons kicked ass (non-digital I believe?) and the digital animation was actually pretty good considering the tight budget.

The Characters:

Arthur...well if you've seen the Office you know Martin Freeman is good...and he is good as Arthur...perfect british bumbler.

Ford...he's OK (the Ford in my head was a little more out there though).

Zaphod...really good, Southern accent was approriate and his crazy dress was fitting (the extra head and arm was done pretty well considering the budget)

Marvin...Alan Rickman rules...needed to be in it a little more though.

Trillian...bleh. Wooden and emotionless.

Slartibartfast...really good. I like Bill Nighy and he really captured good ol' Slarty.

The Guide...really well done, kept some of the TV show cheesiness, and the voice was great.

There was another character, but since it wasn't in the books I don't want to spoil it. The character is quite good though and actually works for the movie.

Over-all:

My over-all feeling was that it wasn't that funny. Every time I read the book I laugh out loud. Many times. I think I only laughed out loud a couple of times during the movie. The same jokes just din't translate all that well onto the screen, or were just not there. I love Douglas Adams and his spirit just doesn't seem to quite be there. I think they tried really hard and hit some stuff on the head but missed to many times for me to recommend this movie.

Will I buy the DVD? Probably. Especially if it comes packaged with a toy. But then again I am a big loser who likes to play with toys.

Yes...basically...they're on there way to eat...if you know what I mean! (which I believe is the end of book 1...as I usually read them all at once, it is a little foggy where one ends and the next one picks up...). I would be interested to see what you think when you go to see it. I hope more people enjoy it so we get a sequel (and a second chance for them to get it right!)

Lets just say there is an "ode" to the original theme song (I am assuming that you are talking about the TV show. I have never listened to the radio series, just read the scripts). There is a scene after the initial opening where the book fills the screen in a dramatic way and the music is played then. At this point I felt really good about the movie...

I kinda thought it might be a bust, but sucker that I am, I'm sure I'll still get out to see it. Did they at least keep the old music theme? (Timouse tells me it's an old Eagles tune, but I don't think they ever did it with the same banjo-soaked flair.)

it is the Eagles, the tune's called "Journey of the Sorcerer." I think it's on The Long Run album...i have it as filler on a disc in my car, again , the onus is on you to tremember that i have it and ask for it tomorrow :)

and after having posted this i see fluffhead beat me to it...not that i'm ready to claim encyclopedic knowledge of the Eages :)