Jambands.ca

trip to brazil?

meggo

if there was ever any doubt that those brasilenos know how to have fun...

A holiday whose time has come

Monday, May 9, 2005 Updated at 4:07 PM EDT

Associated Press

Rio de Janeiro — Sex rarely makes the news in Brazil's conservative Northeast, until a small town declared an official Orgasm Day on Monday.

Felipe Santolia, mayor of Espertantina, endorsed the May 9 holiday, which he said was intended to improve relationships between married couples.

“We're celebrating orgasm in all its senses. There's even a panel discussion on premature ejaculation. But from what I've seen, women have more trouble achieving orgasm than men, especially in marriage,” Mr. Santolia said by telephone from Esperantina, about 2,100 kilometres north of Rio de Janeiro.

Mr. Santolia said the remote town of 38,000 people has been unofficially celebrating orgasm day for years, but that the town's former mayor had vetoed a bill making it an official municipal holiday.

The city council passed a law Saturday creating the holiday. Mr. Santolia, who took office earlier this year, said he would sign the bill later Monday.

“I'm 32, single and I have an open mind. Beside the theme is very much of the moment,” he said.

Orgasm Day celebrations include a series of panel discussions by sexologists from across Brazil and a presentation of Eve Ensler's play The Vagina Monologues.

Mr. Santolia said the idea of celebrating Orgasm Day at first created a scandal in this poor region, known for its religious fervour. But he said residents gradually residents warmed to the idea.

:D gradually warmed to the idea? i can't imagine why! classic. :D

Riiigghhhtt ... [color:purple]'cause abstinence promotion works so well for AIDS prevention

This actually seems like a good way to get some AIDS/STD awareness and prevention dialogue going in a way that will be noticed, to me. If they are doing panels on premature ejaculation, I'm sure things like safety are also being addressed.

"Brazil has one of the planets highest rates of HIV infection and here they are celebrating the orgasm. The rain forest must make people stupid. All the more reason to cut it down."

Lazlo has no facts.

Countries with the Highest HIV Infection Rates in the World
RankCountryHIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate(%)
1Swaziland38.80
2Botswana37.30
3Zimbabwe33.70
4Lesotho28.90
5South Africa21.50
6Namibia21.30
7Zambia16.50
8Malawi14.20
9Central African Republic13.50
10Mozambique12.20
11Guinea-Bissau10.00
12Tanzania8.80