Jambands.ca

The Wu In Ottawa!

Del

No, not the Big Wu, Inspectah Deck from the Wu-Tang Clan is playing at Babylon on June 3rd... Anyone want to check it out?

Inspectah Deck was one of the Wu-Tang Clan's lesser-known members, despite his talent as both an MC and producer. Born Jason Hunter, Deck earned the first part of his nickname as the quiet, watchful eye in the corner; his other aliases included Rollie Fingers, Fifth Brother, and Rebel INS, the latter a graffiti name tag he used as a youngster. Deck was born in Brooklyn but grew up on Staten Island, attending school with several future Wu members. He was heard on most of the key tracks from the group's classic 1993 debut, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), including the singles "C.R.E.A.M." and "Protect Ya Neck." He made guest appearances on most of the ensuing Wu-Tang solo projects, with particularly attention-grabbing work on Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx and Genius' Liquid Swords. However, the release of his own solo debut -- which was rumored completed in 1995 -- was postponed indefinitely. Meanwhile, "Let Me at Them," effectively a Deck solo track that was credited to the Clan, appeared on the Tales From the Hood soundtrack in 1995. Deck was an overlooked presence on the Clan's sprawling second album, Wu-Tang Forever (1997); among other appearances, he produced the track "Visionz" and contributed the essentially solo "The City." In 1999, he finally released his debut solo album, Uncontrolled Substance, which featured a number of less-exposed Wu-Tang affiliates as guests, not to mention more of Deck's own production. The record sold pretty well, climbing into the Top Five of the R&B charts. Deck subsequently returned to the Wu-Tang fold for the albums The W and Iron Flag.

InspectahDeck_UncontrolledS.jpg

I also noticed Afrika Bambaataa is playing there on July 1st...

If it wasn't Canada Day I might even call you on that Polkaroo... Seriously though, no love for the Wu-Tang Clan? I thought there'd be one fan in the masses here... I won't go alone, but if I can find a partner in crime I'd seriously consider it...

Fuck Inspectah Deck, if it was ODB (RIP) RZA or Ghostface I'd go but not for this hanger-on, he ain't true WU. The real story here is after a nearly 9-year break DIGABLE PLANETS are playing June 6th At barrymore's. I've always been a big fan and can't belive they're back and coming here. Anybody down with some conscience hip hop?

tix are $25 in advance

PS - Just noticed Wassabi is playing Babylon in July. Since when is Adam booking jambands again? And why Wassabi? are they filling Mavericks? If not its going to look pretty empty in Babylon.

At least Wassabi is kinda dancy... If it wasn't on a Wednesday (I believe) I think Wassabi could pack Babylon... (Maverick's was pretty damn full last time they were here, not full but pretty packed). I've seen them sell out PJC before (a couple of times...) And Inspectah Deck is true Wu... He's on some of their best tracks (C.R.E.A.M., Protect Ya Neck), and you know it'll kick ass... Raekwon would be my personal choice but I'll take what I can get... As for Digable... I'll give you a maybe... We'll talk this weekend...

can't say I've seen caution press, but if you say they're bad then they must be.

Someone believes my opinion? It's gotta be a full moon or a Friday the 13th or something... (Caution Press really does suck... Ask TheSloth, he's got my back and then some...)

This show will be off the hook. How anyone can like the WU tang and cut up inspector deck is crazy or know's nothing of the Wu tang Clan. His is huge part of the Wu tang and Is still probally the best rapper they have. maybe the Gza....Is he coming to toronto too?

WU TANG FOREVER

Best thread ever....deeep in our hearts we are all true wiggers.

Digable Planets I'd like to see, agreed that Bambataa coming out the bushes is pretty nostalgic but it could be interesting. I have no idea who caution press is, and I don't understand the big defensive rant poutine. I can give you plenty of example of artists and bands that have star contributors (Jerry) and glorified hangers-on (Bobby)

Love ya Del! :)