Jambands.ca

Herbie Hancock and John Mayer?

Deeps

I'm looking at the Bonnaroo website and it looks as though John Mayer is sitting in with Herbie Hancock in the Headhunters 2005 section.

Do my eyes deceive me?

Did anyone catch this?

If it was Mayer; did he hold his own?

Need details!

Deeps

Edited by Guest
punctuamatation

Mayer is actually quite an accomplished guitar player. He attended Berkely for a few years. He said something once I always found interesting and that was (something like) "seeing who can play the best version of The Sky Is Crying, is just a pissing contest, and doesn't really accomplish much musically" (my words, not his). To this end, he intially pursued a career as a singer/songwriter, not jazz noodler. I guess he's since changed his perspective a bit.

As for Bonnaroo, I have no clue how he played but I have seen him play pretty damn good guitar solos live. (yes I saw John Mayer live...I'm still ashamed.)

Edited by Guest

I thought Mayer was good, and restrained when he jammed with Buddy Freaking Guy on Austin City Limits. He didn't try to shred or one-up Buddy.

Jon's a more versatile guitarist than Buddy, but Guy could kick the blues out of anyone on stage and Jon respected that.