Jambands.ca

Kevin Breit plays mandolin!

bradm

And steel-top resonator guitar, and mandocello, for fug's sake!

I caught quite a bit of a show on Bravo! today, which started at 5pm. It's part of their irregularly scheduled "Jazz Sessions" series, and was filmed (I think) in 2000 for TVO/TfO.

The musicians were Breit and an upright bassist whose name I missed. Breit was jaw-droppingly astounding. It was like, if it has strings, he can play it; he's ranked up there with David Lindley now in my books.

When I started wactching, I wasn't sure who it was. There were no titles, no interviews, no words from the musicians...and then he hit that harmomic, and used the slide on it...and I knew.

But that was just the resonator guitar. After a commercial break, he broke out the mandolin, and I broke...you shouldn't be able to play so large on an instrument so small, it just ain't right.

And the mandocello...have you ever seen one? It's like a double-sized mandolin, almost a bazouki. I've seen a special on Bravo! about an old Canadian folk group (The Weavers, maybe?), who had one, so I'd seen it before, but not played like this. It sounded like a bassier mandolin, but it was being played like a rhythm guitar.

And throughout the session, the playing carpeted me, the modulations floored me, the interplay between the musicians sub-floored me, and the songs and their structure (and the way they danced around the structures) left me hanging from the joists in the basement.

can'o'phish, I will hurt a lot of people (as in, get a bunch of people you want hurt huddled together in a vacant lot, and I'll hurt them) to get a copy of this. I'll hurt even more people if you get Booche a copy.

Aloha,

Brad

So that's what I've been missing all these years! See, I ain't got no vcr, so I was supposed to go over to Davey-Boy and Catfish's place and watch it and despite the many invitations, I've yet to go see it.

Hey Davey-Boy, whatcha doin' tomorrow?

Okay you bunch of O-Town freaks...what kind of dirty hippy crack are you stuffing in yo' pipes???

Bouche & Ms. Hux, I gave you a crapload of CD's of Kevin & Folk Alarm where most of the stuff Kevin is playing on electric mandolin...also his choice of instrument with alot of Norah's stuff...

Time to invest in some Q-Tips and clean out those ears...sheesh...he's a bag full o'tricks he is...

BTW, Last Waltz is on Bravo RIGHT NOW! Can't believe some of the good music I've seen lately on this channel, though anyone can pick up the DVD now at any store for 9.99...gotta be one of the best buys for music...

ouch...head up ass...always an unpleasant situation to find yourself in...and as always, my sligthly left-of-center humour might be missed...

Bradm, bouche has mastered live board/room recordings of the two recent gigs of Folk Alarm at Hugh's Room...grab him by the ankles and shake until these fall out of his pockets...if you don't get them, I'll add them to my constant growing pile of music for my next trip to O-Town...

I think Folk Alarm is playing Toronto Island Jazz Fest sometime this summer, just not confirmed yet...

You can see Kevin strumming the prop mandolin in Norah's video "Sunrise"...looking like on helluva funky amish dude...Ed The Sock called him a freakish Lurch...