Jambands.ca

Build your own hot dog

AdamH

Lately I can't stop thinking about hot dogs. And to satisfy my craving I learned that there's a hot dog and sausage council in the states, who have posted hot dog rules of engagement on their website

Just a few:

Don't...

put hot dog toppings between the hot dog and the bun. Always "dress the dog," not the bun.

Condiments should be applied in the following order: wet condiments like mustard and chili are applied first, followed by chunky condiments like relish, onions and sauerkraut, followed by shredded cheese, followed by spices, like celery salt or pepper.

Do...

serve sesame seed, poppy seed and plain buns with hot dogs. Sun-dried tomato buns or basil buns are considered gauche with franks.

Don't...

use a cloth napkin to wipe your mouth when eating a hot dog. Paper is always preferable.

Do...

eat hot dogs on buns with your hands. Utensils should not touch hot dogs on buns.

Do...

use paper plates to serve hot dogs. Every day dishes are acceptable; china is a no-no.

Don't...

take more than five bites to finish a hot dog. For foot-long wiener, seven bites are acceptable.