Jambands.ca

The John Henrys in Ottawa 7/23

bradm

It looks like a gorgeous evening out there, and I've slept enough today to make me think I can stay out late tonight without undue ill effects, so I'm in (in the sense of "in" meaning "[going] out"). Hope to see a bunch of y'all there!

Aloha,

Brad

Yeah, BBT didn't really work for me, either. It was 'way too much into cliche honky-tonk, and, while it was interesting to see a female drummer, if she had spent half as much effort into actually playing as she did into looking like she was playing, the drumming might have been a lot better.

The Golden Seals, on the other hand, were loads of fun. It's a single guy, playing guitar and singing, and while it could easily have been a typical singer/songwriter thing, he used an electric guitar (a Telecaster into an old Traynor tube amp) with a raunchy tone that was almost, but not quite, into the shrill zone. It looked like he had maybe two pedals (one of them a tuner), and I know guitarists who use a lot more gear to get a lot worse tone. His songs were good, too: short, well-written, and just offbeat enough to keep you interested. (For example, he introduced one song thusly: "I'm a lover, not a fighter, so when I found out my ex girlfriend, who used to be my girlfriend, was getting romantic e-mails from a guy, all I could do is take the e-mails and write a song. This song is called 'Donald P. Listo' in honour of the guy who sent them...") He also covered "Frownland" by Captain Beefheart, which is one of the most out-of-the-way covers I've ever heard.

And The John Henrys kicked my mass all over the place. It's been over a year since I've seen them, and they're twice as good as now as they were then. Now if they would only play more gigs...

Aloha,

rad