Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Soul Jazz Orchestra @ Babylon (Ottawa) 7/21

bradm

I just paid a couple of bills over the phone, and as I finished the first one, the automated voice read, "You have completed payment. Your reference number is...zero...four...two...zero. Please write down this number. That number again..."

(Back when they used three-digit reference numbers, I actually got "six...six...six..." once.)

I take this as a sign, so I'm 90% sure I'll be out tonight.

Aloha,

Brad

Cover is $5, and it's worth every penny. SJO (keys, drums, tenor sax, alto sax) is an amazingly good band. They have a strong jazz influence (to the point of covering John Coltrane's "Countdown", and in having longer melodic lines that almost sound like bebop), incredible chops (esp. the keyboard player, who also fills in the bass notes), mix up the styles really well (including latin and afro-beat, as well as straight funk, and even MMW-ish stuff), and they laid down a serious party last night.

They're doing three sets every Thursday, and the first one started about 11pm. I left after the second, which ended about 1am. The crowd was actually pretty big, but I'm guessing some of it was spill-over from Barrymore's, which has a "Retro '90s" night on Thursdays, with the line-up on the sidewalk being about 50 people deep, even when I left.

I'll be back next week. I'm now officially bummed out my paths never crossed the band's before, but glad I've found them.

Aloha,

Brad

I couldn't really tell, as I hadn't been to a Muffin in a long time. The crowd seemed pretty young, and there were even a couple of (female) break-dancers in action at several points during the show (and between sets, when D-Mass, the Thursday DJ*, was laying down some seriously funky stuff).

Aloha,

Brad

* And member of the band I'm in, Inglewood Jack.

Cover is $5, and it's worth every penny. SJO (keys, drums, tenor sax, alto sax) is an amazingly good band. They have a strong jazz influence (to the point of covering John Coltrane's "Countdown", and in having longer melodic lines that almost sound like bebop), incredible chops (esp. the keyboard player, who also fills in the bass notes), mix up the styles really well (including latin and afro-beat, as well as straight funk, and even MMW-ish stuff), and they laid down a serious party last night.

They're doing three sets every Thursday, and the first one started about 11pm. I left after the second, which ended about 1am. The crowd was actually pretty big, but I'm guessing some of it was spill-over from Barrymore's, which has a "Retro '90s" night on Thursdays, with the line-up on the sidewalk being about 50 people deep, even when I left.

I'll be back next week. I'm now officially bummed out my paths never crossed the band's before, but glad I've found them.

Aloha,

Brad

Excellent, I'm glad you liked them. Now I can stop hyping them because people will go now that you've said something. :)

They are definitely all that and a plate of BBQ.

AD