Jambands.ca

Ferro Gaita at PJC this weekend...

Paan

They're still booked at Harbourfront. I was just asked if I wanted a show as well since their coming all the way from North Africa. I was assured that they have a sic live show, so we went for it.

Will definately be a show like nothing pepper jack's has seen before.

ferro_album_2.jpg

FERRO GAITA: BIOGRAPHY

This Kora (African Music Awards) nominated ensemble are pacesetters of

Funana/Tabanka: a bold accordion-inflected musical form unique to the

island of Santiago, Cape Verde, with heavy Louisiana Cajun and South

African urban jive influences. Ferro is a piece of metal played with a

knife, and Gaita is a type of accordion...this all adds up to a music

form and live performance that looks and sounds like nothing else out

there on the global music landscape!

The name of the group is evocative music which it plays: "Ferro" is the iron bar which one rubs with a knife, "Gaita" is a small accordion (a bandonion), two instruments used in the funana. It is a still unknown rate/rhythm in Europe, born at the beginning of century last in the campaigns of Santiago, and prohibited by the Portuguese colonial authorities.

One is here very far from the sadness of the morna or of the reserve of will coladeira, the funana is much more dancing and the topics selected are believed. Since the creation of the group in 1996, Ferro Gaita transformed this funana by electrifying it (following the example its predecessors Bulimundo and Finaçon ), and if it can prove to be fortifying to approach the group by the listening of a whole album (prefer a compilation), do not miss them in concert, you will appreciate the incredible charisma of the two leaders of the group, and you will be likely finally to hear the song of the lambis (more exactly, the sound which leaves there when one blows in the bored shell). It would be astonishing that one does not find a funana in European artists in the next years.

This Saturday!