Jambands.ca

NHL: August 12th happenings

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Ray Emery signed a one-year contract with the Sens. He will most likely be Ottawa's starter once Hasek goes down to a crippling injury.

Roberto Luongo was summonded to arbitration by the Florida Panthers. I love the whole reverse-arbitration thing that the new CBA has created. Luongo rejected Florida's qualifying offer, so an arbitrator will apparently decide on a fair salary that Luongo will have to abide by. Not too sure how that's fair for the player, but it seems as Florida made this move in order to ensure Luongo's place in the line-up for the Panthers. I guess the rumoured trade talks with Montreal have fallen through.

Citing a source, the East Valley Tribune reports the Phoenix Coyotes are pursuing veteran goaltender Curtis Joseph. Joseph's agent, Don Meehan, has spoken to the Coyotes and appears to be seeking between $2 million and $2.5 million per season.

One factor in Phoenix's favor is Joseph, a two-time All-Star, is familiar with new Coyotes assistant Barry Smith, who was an associate coach with the Red Wings during Joseph's tenure in Detroit. If the Coyotes do not sign Joseph, the Tribune suggests they could look at working a trade with another team that has a surplus of goalies.

Glen Wesley remains an unrestricted free agent, but the Carolina Hurricanes have stated their intention to bring him back, reports the Raleigh News & Observer. The Hurricanes hope to use Wesley and Bret Hedican together, and general manager Jim Rutherford reiterated his intention Thursday to re-sign Wesley "next week."

The Capitals haven't shown much interested in re-signing Dainius Zubrus, the player claims, who might opt to play in Russia this season. Zubrus, 27, has agreed to play with Lada Togliatti of the Russian Super League in 2005-06 if a deal with the Caps isn't reached, according to the Washington Post.

Zubrus, a restricted free agent, rejected Washington's qualifying offer last August, and said he has not received another contract offer since, but that the sides are in contact.

"So far Washington hasn't shown much interest," Zubrus told the Post.

"They have talked to my agent, but there is no offer. My first choice is to play in the NHL, but since Washington hasn't shown interest in me, looks like I will play for [Lada Togliatti, his Russian club] because I have to play hockey somewhere."

As a wise man once told me:

"As Sens fan I don't want that guy anywhere near the team. As a hockey fan I don't want him anywhere near my TV!!!"

I wonder who that wise man could be? Don't you think we've given Dinghy a hard enough time as it is? Wait, what am I saying...

Edited by Guest