Jambands.ca

COMPUTER HAAAAALP!!!

Freeker

So now everything is fucked beyond belief and I'm formatting. I have a bunch of stuff on my HD I'd love to keep, but at this point all i can do is get to the dos prompt (no windows not even safe mode) so can i at this point use fdisk to create a partiton move the stuff i want to save to the new partiton then format c: install XP then move the stuff back to c: and format d:?????

I just don't want to lose that stuff but i can't even see the files in dos. i'm confused by that, shouldn't i be able to see the content of my HD even in dos...c: only lisdt ten or so .exe files thatrs it.......HAAAAALP!!!

My c: drive seems to not contain anything, which is odd because i never formatted all I did was uipgrade win2000 to XP and it crashed mid way through ...due to the fact the drive i was installing windows with, the drivers for itwere not compatible with XP so when it rebooted halfway through the install it couldn't find the cd rom again...but still i should still have all my data on my HD shouldn't I?

also nowe when i go in using a boot disk and tyype format c: it says format not supported on drive c: format terminated.

WTF????

(Booche here)

also nowe when i go in using a boot disk and tyype format c: it says format not supported on drive c: format terminated.

The drive may be an NTFS drive, hence your message. Do you have an OS cd like Win2000 or XP?

If you are planning on dumping all the data anyways, just format it like that.

I miss you Freek, keep seeing this stupid Greco's place up here and it makes me think of you. Dougie and I are in the Miramichi.

for christ sake you and Lynn go away the one week I need my personal IT geeks. I dunno what to do Maybe I'll bring it over some night when you guys get home and we can take a crack at it. I think I'm having hardware conflicts now, I think my cd-rom is so wonky it can't even keep the XP disk spinning long enough to read it.

Any idea how I can bypass the admin password to use the Automatic system recovery system. I don't have an admin pasword and after 3 attempts in boots me back to square one.

Product # Description Price Quantity Sub Total

100009 LG 52X, Internal IDE $17.99 x 1 $17.99

120000 bb. LG GSA-4163B 16X DVD+R & 16X DVD-R - DVD-RAM OEM $59.99 x 1 $59.99

40037 aa. Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM - 8MB Cache - 3Yr Warranty $75.99 x 1 $75.99

70006 da. AOpen - KF-45-P4 Mid Tower ATX With 300 Watt PS $64.99 x 1 $64.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Cart Price: $218.96

Thinking I might just say fuck it and buy these compnents and hope it will solve my problems. Any one suggest anything better than what I've got choosen here?

Unfortunately Voodoo Lady, I couldn't take the whole week off to entertain....they certainly deserve full attention though!! Its a beautiful day on PEI and they are gone "up west" to visit the wind farm at North Cape....sh!t, they'll know more about PEI when they leave than I will, I'm sure. We went to another field party with a flat bed truck stage Saturday night and went for a stroll on the massive sandbar/dune that is Robinson's Island in Rustico yesterday....still ahead, some Slowcoaster & pitchers of Sweet Oblivion @ Baba's(I think I will take a day off work after this to sleep in and go lay on the beach), a river cruise and some deep sea fishing on my brother's boat, perhaps followed with a clambake on the shore, and of course Evolve. Its a wonderful week to be alive....

But enough about us, criminy jickets, hows that computer of yours, Trev?? What a boner.....

(poke, poke, chuckle, snicker, poke)

Edited by Guest

Trevor,

Boot into your BIOS setup, and set the boot drive order to CD, floppy, HD, then restart with your Windows XP setup disc in the drive (hopefully it is a legit disc - if it is then you can boot from it). Once you boot up, there should be an option to resume a previous installation.

If you need help send me your phone number and I will try to talk you through it.

Good lord.....you won a poker game?!?!?! Have the games up there completely fallen apart with the absence of me and Velvet?? Either that or I guess you've stepped up your game Trev?? Congratulations, now go out there and get that computer fixed.

Edited by Guest

ATTN: tech-heads what should I buy???

HD:

Western Digital 80Gb 7200RPM WD800BB -$69.99

Western Digital 80Gb 7200rpm 8MB Cache -$79.99

Western Digital 80GB SATA 7200 8mb cache - $89.99

Seagate SATA 120Gig 8mb Cache 7200rpm - $99.99

DVD:

Sony DWD26A 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Drive - $69.99

Pioneer DVR-109 16X Dual Layer DVD+-/RW - $79.99

NEC 3520A 16X DVD+-RW D.L. - $79.99

Pioneer DVR-109 16X Black D.L. DVD+-/RW - $84.99

CD Rom:

LG 52X32X52 CDRW 2Mb Nero 5.5 Black - $34.99

LG 52x CDROM 128k 80ms E-IDE/ATAPI OEM -$29.99

LG 52X32X52 CDRW 2Mb buf Nero 6.3 -$29.99

Tower:

SJA-70 300W Tower Case -$29.99

CP-201 Space P4 ATX Mid-tower 350w -$49.99

Antec Solution SLK1600 beige ATX 300W -$59.99

Antec Solution SLK1650B black ATX 350W -$79.99

Any advice would be great, thanks.

this is what youve gotta do dude, step by step ill lay it out, im a longtime comp techie okay?

step 1. Put on your workboots, if you have a pussy office job (like mine) go buy some rockin' steel-toes

step 2. Take a Karate class, or buy a tai-bo tape.

step 3. Learn some heady maneuvers.

step 4. DROPKICK THAT FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT COMPUTER!!!

step 5. crack a beer, crank the tunes

step 6. enjoy

thatll be 595.98 for my services rendered

Thanks for the advice Tooly, once I get the new machine the old one is being lit on fire and thrown off the Pretoria bridge while I laugh my muthafuckin ass off...PS - your cheques in the mail, thanks.

You're right basher I don't need a Cd-Rom do i?

Punk there was more than a few angry people last night, Sloth took it well, better than Gray. hehehehe.

Alright any other suggestions for me?