Jambands.ca

Big news out of Newfoundland

Booche

"It was just on CBC Radio One 640 AM here in Bonavista Newfoundland that apperently home town star Michael Ryder along with fellow Montreal Canadiens' prospect Ron Hainsey and a 2006 3rd round draft pick has been traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for Tampa Bay Centerman Brad Richards. They noted that the trade will be formally announced on Monday August 29th when Bob Gainey will speak with the media.

After they announced the trade they talked to Dan Ryder, younger brother of Michael and 2005 draft pick of the Calgary Flames. He had mixed emotions for his brother changing teams after having such a stellar rookie year in Montreal in 2003-2004. Dan Ryder went on to say that he is excited for his brother getting the opportunity to play for the defending Stanley Cup Champions and a proven winner but stated at the end of the interview that he was a little dissapointed that his brother Michael was leaving Canada but understands that it is part of the game and the business."

Here it is

The Richards Rumor

I have removed the Richards trade rumor from the blog after much speculation to its validity. I was very slow to post this at all yesterday even thought many, many folks emailed me with the rumor throughout the day..I did not believe the rumor at all at first. It wasn't until I got home from Atlantic City last night that I talked to two sources who verified there was something to it. They verified the fact that Tampa and Montreal had had discussions regarding Richards...However did not know the names. I am now going to spend a lot of time today seeing if the names are similar to the rumor that is out there..According to a source regarding this rumor, "This rumour got started on Hockeytraderumors.com, claiming CBC Radio 640 AM in Bonavista was reporting Michael Ryder's brother was claiming this trade was about to go down. Two problems with this. First, CBC employees have been locked out by management across Canada for over two weeks now, leading to little news coverage, let alone sports news coverage. Second, CBC Radio isn't heard on 640 AM in Bonavista, but 750 AM."

This is an interesting case where someone may have invented a rumor from thin air, and stumbled on a player, Richards, and a team, Montreal, that is indeed being thrown around..I will get to the bottom of it...