Jambands.ca

BRUCE COCKBURN GOES SPEECHLESS WITH FIRST-EVER INSTRUMENTAL ALBUM

StoneMtn

BRUCE COCKBURN GOES SPEECHLESS WITH FIRST-EVER INSTRUMENTAL ALBUM

Aug 24, 2005 - By True North

August 23, 2005 - TORONTO - On September 27, 2005 - True North proudly releases the first-ever instrumental album by critically acclaimed singer-songwriter Bruce Cockburn. SPEECHLESS, as it is aptly titled, showcases Cockburn’s brilliant acoustic guitar playing in an eclectic collection of originals, both new and previously recorded. SPEECHLESS was produced by Cockburn and longtime collaborator Colin Linden and features guest support by Gary Burton, Edgar Meyer, Mark O’Connor and others. T-Bone Burnett also produced three tracks. SPEECHLESS also releases in the US and internationally on September 27.

On September 8th at the Congress Centre in Ottawa, USC Canada presents a special benefit evening with David Suzuki and Bruce Cockburn. The Speechless tour begins on October 16 in the US.

Critics have long championed Cockburn’s guitar work throughout his celebrated thirty-five year career. A 2003 cover story in Acoustic Guitar called his guitar instrumentals “dazzling…compositionally and technically years ahead of their time†while The New York Times called him “virtuosic†on guitar.†With

SPEECHLESS, Cockburn’s extraordinary playing takes center stage. A culmination of guitar styles and techniques inspired by Cockburn’s influences such as Django Reinhardt on the jazzy “Rouler Sa Bosse†and Mississippi John Hurt on the blues-infused “Sunrise on the Mississippi, SPEECHLESS features a range of instrumentals, including three new gems, each with its own cinematic quality.

Cockburn will perform solo on a string of North American tour dates. Each performance will feature music from Speechless as well as Cockburn’s previous albums.

Looking forward to this one,sweet.

excellent. we have tickets to see him at a small soft seater theatre in brampton in november, no doubt as part of the "speechless" tour.

Why did I not hear about this? I assume its sold out now. The rock I appear to be living under must be larger then I originally thought... :/

Looking forward to this one,sweet.
excellent. we have tickets to see him at a small soft seater theatre in brampton in november, no doubt as part of the "speechless" tour.

Why did I not hear about this? I assume its sold out now. The rock I appear to be living under must be larger then I originally thought... :/

hey greg, there might still be tickets left.

venue contact:

Brampton Heritage Theatre

905-874-2844

86 Main Street North,

Brampton, ON L6V 1N7

give them a call...and again, so you don't feel bad about living under a rock, we found out about it from our pokey little local paper. i haven't seen it advertised anywhere else...

hope you can get tickets!!

Nice,thanks Tim.I'll first have to convince my neighbour that its in her best interest to put two tickets (if available) on her credit card when she stops in for 420 today.

What sort of rock is that, BTW? I'm guessing some sort of "southern rock"? ;)

Stairway to freebird! corna.gif

[edit to add]

I love your signature Stone Mtn.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

So... here's a review of this album from another board, copied from the all music guide ...

review of new bruce cockburn instrumental disc. review by thom jurek, usually sympathetic writer from the all music guide. in stores today.

Speechless is proof in the pudding that you can<\it> teach an old dog new tricks. Old dog? Take a look at Bruce Cockburn's photo in the CD booklet. Speechless is the singer-songwriter's first foray into completely instrumental territory. There are 15 tracks here, the vast majority of which are redo's of tracks from Cockburn's catalogue. But given their treatment-many of them done as solo guitar pieces-the dearth of new material doesn't even matter. In fact, one could venture to say that these feel like altogether new pieces. Cockburn is a master guitarist; he often interlays jazz, blues, country and folk styles into his cross genre songs. Here he shines, pure and simple. "Train In the Rain" (anyone notice how many of his songs are about trains and travel?) touches on Leo Kottke and Peter Lange, "Water Into Wine," utilizes flamenco stylings while crossing into gypsy jazz chords ala Charlie Byrd. A new work, "Elegy," kisses the modalities of "Greensleeves," while creating itself as a piece that evokes both absence and memory. "Rouler Sa Bosse" from Salt, Sun, and Time, juxtaposes Cockburn's six string against Jack Zaza's clarinet, and becomes a straight up gently swinging jazz tune. The set also includes "Rise and Fall," a sought after trio track that was previously available only in Japan. Cockburn's steel string is accented by his playing of bells, George Koller on bass and Thelonious Monk's former drummer Ben Riley! The new version of "When It's Gone, It's Gone," showcases an entire band that includes Booker T. Jones on organ and Edgar Meyer on bass and is the only electric tune on the set Another new work, "The End of All Rivers," is a multi tracked tune that has Cockburn playing not only guitar, but Tibetan bowl, a Navajo flute and a baritone guitar which are threaded though the melody as a digital delay marks time with his standard acoustic. It's spooky, elegiac and utterly beguiling. The set ends with a down home solo read of the title track from Sunwheel Dance. The most remarkable thing about Speechless, is though it lies firmly in its own subcategory in Cockburn's catalogue, it remains, despite the improvisation and textures, a recording of songs. Their composer's need to establish the fact even in abstraction and extrapolation is commendable. Speechless is not only accessible, it's downright beautiful, poetic and seductive.

hey corey, thanks for posting the review! can't wait to get my ears on a copy of this...and i was sort of sad to have missed franti but also very happy to know that i have not double-booked niffermouse and myself again.

so are you in fact in ontscario for mr franti on the 12th? we should hook up at some point...

so are you in fact in ontscario for mr franti on the 12th? we should hook up at some point...

I have tickets for the show, but no plane tickets just yet. I learned on Saturday that my dog will probably require major surgery at pretty significant cost, so I may have to re-think purchasing plane tickets to Toronto, but I think I'll be there.

When I make a final decision, you'll be among the first to know, Tim. [color:purple](I think I already made an enemy of Dr_Evil_Mouse by not seeing him the last time I was in.)

He and Garcia are probably my two favorite guitar players, by the way.

That'd make two of us. I wish I could hear something BC did in Toronto a few years back again, an untitled instrumental that was pretty much a ringer for the Other One - best of both worlds, really.

I saw on the Jerry at Shoreline conversation between the band members that it was actually one of the singers who got Waiting for a Miracle into rotation. Pity Jerry and Bruce hadn't had more to do with one another.

I have tickets for the show' date=' but no plane tickets just yet. I learned on Saturday that my dog will probably require major surgery at pretty significant cost, so I may have to re-think purchasing plane tickets to Toronto, but I think I'll be there.

When I make a final decision, you'll be among the first to know, Tim. [color:purple'](I think I already made an enemy of Dr_Evil_Mouse by not seeing him the last time I was in.)

Wishing you and your dog the best, Corey, and I'd love to get in on this hook up if it works out logistically.

And Dr. Evil, it's a treat to play music with someone whose favourite two guitar players are Garcia and Cockburn! Has MarcO ever heard you play?

Peace, Mark