Jambands.ca

Keller Williams on his favourite Dead Song(s)

Cully

Keller Williams:

"Bird Song," "Scarlet>Fire," "Brown Eyed Woman," "Eyes of the World," "Jack Straw, "Stranger, "Help," "Slipknot," " "Franklin's," "St. Steven," "The Eleven," "Candy Man," "High Time," "Black Peter," "Loser," "So Many Roads," "Dire Wolf," "'Till the Morning Comes," "Looks Like Rain," "Box of Rain" because they are all wrapped up together to be my favorite Dead song that I know and I can play them blindfolded with one leg tied behind my back while hanging by the other leg upside down on acid.

Hey Huxtable, now's your chance to chime in on the suspicious lack of Bobby songs in there.

You did get Looks Like Rain, thank heavens!

Also, further to our conversation the other day, had you mentioned the appearances of Billy Cobham and Alphonso Johnson on the Bobby and the Midnites album, you may have turned things around.

We could play the numbers game (you forgot Jack Straw, Stranger, and Slipknot) but, I think Keller gets it = R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Liz Leinweber - What was it like to tour with Ratdog?

Keller Williams - It was so cool, just great. I saw so many Dead shows from '87 to '95. And now, going back to these venues and being on stage and backstage, it's unreal. The really cool thing was rehearsing with him (Bob Weir). It was really uplifting - just me and him playing music. We did a long verson of "Birdsong," trading vocals at Red Rocks, I'll remember that forever. It was a highlight of my career.

link

Forgive me for not fellating Bobby for his chord changes in Jack Straw, a great song for sure but a group effort between hunter's words, and Jerry's inclusion on vocals from the 70's onwards. Back to that "sum greater than parts" thing.

Awesome quote. I interpret that as "doing a Jerry song was the highlight of my career"

[Here's a quote coming from as reputable a source as your precious Steamboat Local]

Bob Weir You can actually stop truckin' now, Bob. The Dead's insistence on staying on the road post-Jerry Garcia has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the band was just a collection of semi-competent nerds with a prodigiously charismatic and talented frontman. And "Rock Star Bobby" is the worst of the bunch, a bona fide gravy trainer who would've probably invited frequent guest Huey Lewis to join the band as a full-time harmonica player had Garcia not understandably kept his pink Izod-wearing ass in check. Weir's side project, Rat Dog, is basically a below-average bar band with a frontman who needs a teleprompter to remember his own lyrics. But frankly, given our unyielding love for all things Garcia, we were willing to forgive and forget until Weir & Co. jumped on a stage in a movie-studio lot to appear on Leno recently. With Garcia on the injured list (for good), Weir stepped in to sing lead vocals on "Touch of Grey." Horribly. Why he didn't just defecate on Jerry's headstone instead, we'll never know.

Link