Jambands.ca

Bush to Visit Vancouver Sep 24 - PROTEST

StoneMtn

Alright Vancouverites and anyone within travelling distance. Come on out to "greet" the leader of the free world as he graces us with his presence in Vancouver at Grandview Park at 4:00 on Saturday, Sept 24 2005:

BUSH AND MARTIN TO VISIT VANCOUVER

SATURDAY SEPT. 24TH

Taking a vacation from massive anti-war protests in Washington scheduled for Saturday and from hurricane disasters in Texas and Louisiana, US President George Bush will travel to Vancouver.

This unannounced holiday is at the invitation of Prime Minister Paul Martin, who will accompany President Bush to the lower mainland. Martin says, as a friend and supporter of President Bush, he is pleased to offer him a “holiday breakâ€.

When Bush first visited Vancouver unannounced, November 30 – a little under a year ago -- the New York Times were the first to print a large photo of him, in front of the US consulate in downtown Vancouver. This time STOPWAR.CA, who organized the first visit, wish to give local media an advance notice for photo-ops and interviews.

Here is the Bush-Martin itinerary for SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 24th.

President Bush and Prime Minister Martin will arrive at Grandview Park riding in the back of a ¾ ton truck at 10 a.m. By 11 a.m. they will depart for Burnaby, proceeding along Hastings to Burnaby Heights (Gilmore/Hastings). After greeting people in that district from 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 noon, they will proceed to Granville Island. Here from 12:45 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. they plan to mingle with Canadians and visiting Americans. Their next stop takes them along Davie Street and north down Denman between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. The whirlwind tour concludes along Commercial Drive just after 3:15 p.m. and arrives back at Grandview Park at 4 p.m.

There President Bush and Prime Minister Martin will be greeted by people in Vancouver who are protesting Bush’s wars and Canada’s support for them.

BTW:

In case it didn't occur to some of you ...

Although this info came from a trusted source, I'm pretty sure it was intended to be sarcastic. Either that, or it's just a good way to get people out to protest. September 24th is apparently being declared "Day of anti-war education all over the Lower Mainland."

I doubt Bush will really be there; so I thought I should clear that up so no one's disappointed later.

sm

I doubt it, but I only know as much as the quote above says. I re-posted it exactly as it was sent to me by Lawyers Against the War, who received the information from stopwar.ca.

I think L.A.W. thinks he's really coming, but I also think stopwar.ca was trying to be sarcastic. When you re-read the announcement a few times, it sounds like it should be in purple.