Jambands.ca

Ten Years Gone The Dead Family Reunion

Rary8

A real strange and wonderful thing happened to me last year at the Alpine Reunion. I went to that show not really expecting much and I left being so touched by the old sense of family and the strangeness of occurance that is the Grateful Dead.

Back in the day, I used to hitch around following the Dead. I never really could get many folks from Toronto to get out so most of the people I knew on tour were Americans.

For the most part I didn't even know thier names. It just happened that we got used to each other because we would always search out our favourite places in the venue to dance. There was a certain group of us that always seemed to end up in the same places. I guess it was just a preferance for space and terrain.

A few songs in to the show at alpine I had finally decided where I wanted to dance. I had never been to Alpine but I figured out soon where the boogie pit was.

When I got there i soon realized I was amongst the old gang. I didn't know their names and they all looked older. I recognised the way some of them spun and danced. And faces started coming back to me. The old kids of their early twenties were now all thirty something. Many had little children with them. THESE WERE THE FOLKS THAT WERE AROUND ME ALL THOSE DAYS WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OFF. We all came back to the same place. Just cuz we knew where we liked to dance.

I was so blown away. I will carry it with me my whole life. Just like seeing a UFO. It was the most incredible surprise.

I had come to forget those folks. As now that tour has changed I tend to remember those that went on to the Rainbow Gatherings and those from my hometown. But those that I only knew from tour I had forgotten.

It was the most wonderful magic. It was the most wonderful reunion.

I think it's just a beginning.

Summer's here, I'll see you all on tour.

i did this HUGE review of the show, definately the biggest review i've ever done...

and then when i hit add reply, some error occured, and i lost it all.....

oh well, it was still the time of my life. I still have a hard time deciding which i had more fun at, Big Cypress or Alpine Reunion.....

Big Cypress was more fun for me, but the scene was SO MUCH MORE beautiful at Alpine....Hoppe's was just as beautiful....

Archived