The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

Michael Franti & Spearhead - 7

The Decemberists - 11

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

+1 The Shins

-1 Widespread Panic

I just fixed your list, since you didn't actually fix the numbers, Jakis. ;)

NEW DAY!

Widespread Panic - 10

Jack Johnson - 7

Beck - 11

Phil & Friends - 10

Trey Anastasio - 9

The Arcade Fire - 8

The Flaming Lips - 10

The String Cheese Incident - 6

Primus - 11

Ween - 14

Gov't Mule - 9

The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

Michael Franti & Spearhead - 7

The Decemberists - 11

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

Ween +1

SCI -1

Widespread Panic - 10

Jack Johnson - 7

Beck - 11

Phil & Friends - 10

Trey Anastasio - 9

The Arcade Fire - 8

The Flaming Lips - 10

Primus - 12

Ween - 14

Gov't Mule - 9

The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

Michael Franti & Spearhead - 6

The Decemberists - 11

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

+1 for Primus

-1 for Spearhead

Widespread Panic - 10

Jack Johnson - 7

Beck - 11

Phil & Friends - 10

Trey Anastasio - 9

The Arcade Fire - 7

The Flaming Lips - 10

Primus - 13

Ween - 14

Gov't Mule - 9

The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

Michael Franti & Spearhead - 6

The Decemberists - 11

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

-1 for Arcasde Fire

+1 for Primus

Widespread Panic - 10

Jack Johnson - 7

Beck - 11

Phil & Friends - 10

Trey Anastasio - 9

The Arcade Fire - 7

The Flaming Lips - 10

Primus - 13

Ween - 15

Gov't Mule - 9

The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

Michael Franti & Spearhead - 5

The Decemberists - 11

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

-1 Michael Franti & Spearhead

+1 Ween

ps: this thread needs more trash talking.

Widespread Panic - 11

Jack Johnson - 7

Beck - 11

Phil & Friends - 10

Trey Anastasio - 9

The Arcade Fire - 7

The Flaming Lips - 9

Primus - 13

Ween - 15

Gov't Mule - 9

The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

The Decemberists - 11

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

Widespread Panic - 11

Jack Johnson - 7

Beck - 11

Phil & Friends - 10

Trey Anastasio - 9

The Arcade Fire - 7

The Flaming Lips - 9

The String Cheese Incident - 5

Primus - 13

Ween - 15

Gov't Mule - 9

The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

The Decemberists - 12

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

Decemberists +1

SCI -1 (Big surprise!)

Widespread Panic - 10

Jack Johnson - 7

Beck - 11

Phil & Friends - 10

Trey Anastasio - 9

The Arcade Fire - 7

The Flaming Lips - 10

Primus - 13

Ween - 15

Gov't Mule - 9

The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

The Decemberists - 12

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

The Flaming Lips +1

Widespread Panic -1

Widespread Panic - 10

Jack Johnson - 7

Beck - 11

Phil & Friends - 10

Trey Anastasio - 9

The Arcade Fire - 8

The Flaming Lips - 10

Primus - 13

Ween - 15

Gov't Mule - 9

The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

Michael Franti & Spearhead - 4

The Decemberists - 12

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

Arcade Fire +1

Franti -1

Oh, you THINK the Arcade Fire is making it out of here alive, don't you AD? :D Like I said, to keep them in the running would be a waste of airtime, as you could spin the dial to any number of other college stations and likely hear them. How about rooting for a band/artist that's a little less 'now'?

Widespread Panic - 10

Jack Johnson - 7

Beck - 11

Phil & Friends - 10

Trey Anastasio - 9

The Arcade Fire - 7

The Flaming Lips - 10

Primus - 14

Ween - 15

Gov't Mule - 9

The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

The Decemberists - 12

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

-1 Arcade Fire

+1 Primus

NEW DAY -- POST AGAIN

Second last day of the contest... well, the contest will technically end around 6pm Tuesday...

Anyway, it seems Umphrey's will be played, which leads me to some trouble -- can anyone point me at or send me some Umprhey's MP3s? Thanks in advance...

Widespread Panic - 10

Jack Johnson - 7

Beck - 11

Phil & Friends - 9

Trey Anastasio - 9

The Arcade Fire - 7

The Flaming Lips - 10

Primus - 14

Ween - 16

Gov't Mule - 9

The Shins - 11

moe. - 13

The Decemberists - 12

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Spoon - 10

Ween +1

Phil & Friends -1

Hmmm... No votes since mine, eh? Well, that's all right...

FINAL TALLY

[These bands will be played on tomorrow's show! Probably in this order... and maybe more of the higher scorers

Ween - 16

Umphrey's McGee - 14

Primus - 14

moe. - 13

The Decemberists - 12

The Shins - 11

Beck - 11

[The bands were, on the other hand, not qualifiers. Sorry these bands.]

Widespread Panic - 10

The Flaming Lips - 10

Spoon - 10

Phil & Friends - 9

Trey Anastasio - 9

Gov't Mule - 9

Jack Johnson - 7

The Arcade Fire - 7

Thanks to those of you who played... Tune in tomorrow, and please, please, please support CKCU... We love you.

Oh, you THINK the Arcade Fire is making it out of here alive, don't you AD? :D Like I said, to keep them in the running would be a waste of airtime, as you could spin the dial to any number of other college stations and likely hear them. How about rooting for a band/artist that's a little less 'now'?

Can't get any less 'now' than Phil & Friends, Trey, Panic etc... When was the last time Phil wrote a song? When was the last time Trey wrote a good song? I just don't like Panic, or many of the bands on that list. Flaming Lips, Ween, Arcade Fire, Umphrey's, Beck, moe., I can vote for these people, but everyone else gets a big fat MEH from me.

For the record, playing a good song on the air is never a waste of airtime, and I think the Arcade Fire have written a whole albums worth of great tunes, so why shouldn't I root for them? Everyone else on the list (with the exception of Spoon, Umphreys, Shins and Decemberists) are all pretty-much established superstars, why would they need the airplay?

And, to make an argument similar to yours, Arcade Fire are Canadian and I'd hate to see Tonberry miss his CanCon quota :)

(Plus I have a feeling from past discussions on here that not many people on this board have even heard the Arcade Fire, maybe it's about time...)

So yeah, I'm hoping they make it through :) We'll see what happens.

AD

Oh' date=' you THINK the Arcade Fire is making it out of here alive, don't you AD? :D Like I said, to keep them in the running would be a waste of airtime, as you could spin the dial to any number of other college stations and likely hear them. How about rooting for a band/artist that's a little less 'now'?[/quote']

Can't get any less 'now' than Phil & Friends, Trey, Panic etc... When was the last time Phil wrote a song? When was the last time Trey wrote a good song? I just don't like Panic, or many of the bands on that list. Flaming Lips, Ween, Arcade Fire, Umphrey's, Beck, moe., I can vote for these people, but everyone else gets a big fat MEH from me.

For the record, playing a good song on the air is never a waste of airtime, and I think the Arcade Fire have written a whole albums worth of great tunes, so why shouldn't I root for them? Everyone else on the list (with the exception of Spoon, Umphreys, Shins and Decemberists) are all pretty-much established superstars, why would they need the airplay?

And, to make an argument similar to yours, Arcade Fire are Canadian and I'd hate to see Tonberry miss his CanCon quota :)

(Plus I have a feeling from past discussions on here that not many people on this board have even heard the Arcade Fire, maybe it's about time...)

So yeah, I'm hoping they make it through :) We'll see what happens.

AD

I was just trying to get into the trash-talking spirit is all. I was under the impression that the recent wave of Canadian indie-rock arts collectives a la BSS, AofH, Arcade Fire, etc was receiving rave reviews from many on this board. Maybe I'm wrong (or maybe I'm wrong to lump those three together) but I feel like I've seen those names around alot.

And re: a good song not being a waste of airtime; point taken, to a certain extent. A good song is never a waste of airtime in my living room. Not to say that there is some sort of unwritten rule of college radio programming, nor do I wish to claim some sort of expertise on the subject just because I host my own show, too. But when it comes to structuring my own playlist, I try to balance the 'push' with restraint. Play the same tune every week, and you're overplaying it. Play a great tune once and never touch it again, and you run the risk of hooking a listener but letting them go.

While I enjoy Phil & Friends in concert, I too fail to see how they are at all relevant to a college radio audience (or any radio audience, for that matter; their gig is the live show, they do it well [mostly], and I don't think they expect radio play).

I feel Umphrey's, for example, is relevant, but with the needle of relevance weighing heavily on the 'technical skill' side of the gauge, leaving something to be desired on the other side of the gauge, which I'll call the "songwriting/melody/indefinite human element" side. I feel like I haven't heard a better traditional prog-rock band emerge in a long time. Yes, they have jammy tendencies, and are certainly jam-influenced in some ways; but they are, at their core, a progressive rock band - much more than the Dead or even Phish ever were - and I stand by that assertion.

If the Arcade Fire have an arguement for relevance, it would depend heavily on the degree to which their needle of relevance weighs on the latter side (goddamn if I didn't start the lame needle analogy, and goddamn if I ain't gonna finish it). I grant that I have taken in what can be considered to be a very small percentage of their catalogue and, while not completely without merit, I'm not convinced. It all sounds pretty homogenous, stagnant, and generally uninteresting to me. And don't pass me off as your average neo-jamkid over here; I'm on The Band's Brown Album like fuckin junk right now, and have been for months. Can't shake the fucker. What I mean is I feel I have equal appreciation for technical skill and songwriting/melodic prowess, or both sides of my sorry, mythical gauge, as it were.

Anyway, contest over, pleasure sawing on about the intricacies of of musical appreciation and whatnot. I need my bed.

I agree with everything you say... Except don't try to differentiate yourself from the jamkids by saying you're addicted to the Band. Kinda like say 'I hate guitar, I only listen to Clapton.'

For the record about the Arcade Fire: The first time I saw them was probably the best hour-and-a-bit performance I've ever seen, and I've seen tons. 25 thousand people grinning from ear to ear non-stop, singing along to every word, jumping around like crazy not wanting it to end. I think they have it all, and I can't wait to see what they do next.

(And I don't know why you're lumping them in with BSS, AoH (Is that Apostle of Hustle?)) I guess the only thing they have in common is good pitchfork reviews and calling Canada home. I don't see any similarities in the music, method, recordings, etc....

AD

I agree with everything you say... Except don't try to differentiate yourself from the jamkids by saying you're addicted to the Band. Kinda like say 'I hate guitar, I only listen to Clapton.'

I didn't mean to imply that people who primarily identify with the jam scene don't listen to The Band. When I think of The Band (and Neil Young, too), I think of a band or artist that has successfully made outstanding music solely on the strength of their songwriting/melody/indefinite human element, because that element was so strong that adding a whole bunch of wankery would pollute the whole thing.

All I meant by it was, essentially, that my indifference to the Arcade Fire is not due to an indifference to artistically viable but technically unimpressive music, because I love that kind of music - sometimes more than the technical shit. But I can never make up my mind.

Meh, I like the 'technical ability' stuff too, but there's a reason 3-chord songs are constantly hits. They're simple, hummable, and not confusing to the average listener. It takes a lot of skill to make something sound easy, don't mistake something sounding simple to being without merit.

I think the Arcade Fire have both elements you speak of, the technical ability (Arcade Fire plays Arcade Fire songs perfectly) and the songwriting/human element too. The songs are powerful, lyrically, emotionally, and musically.

Anyways, I guess all I'm saying is I really like the Arcade Fire.

:)

AD