Jambands.ca

Freelance Writers with Music Knowledge

Large Marge

I saw this posting on craigslist:

Toronto Freelance Writers with Music Production, Performance Knowledge

Reply to: jwleklowski@yahoo.com

Date: 2005-10-13, 3:03PM EDT

Seeking freelance writers from Toronto with deep knowledge of modern music performance and production (guitars, computer music, live sound, microphones, DJ, synths, sequencers, etc.) for two projects:

1. Contribute answers to online FAQ for musicians (we have a list of questions).

2. Visit and write brief descriptions of online musician resources/websites we have identified.

Pro or amateur--you don't have to be an expert. But YOU MUST KNOW YOUR STUFF in one or more areas of musical instruments, equipment, or performance/production. Also, YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO WRITE. We want long-term relationships with top performers. Work on your own time wherever you want. We pay by the piece; expect $6-$12 per hour depending on your output. Email resume, samples--with "MUSIC QA/RESOURCE" in the subject line--to jwleklowski@yahoo.com.

• Compensation: $6-$12/hr

Six to twelve dollars per hour for subject-matter knowledge *and* the ability to write? That would be a labour of love.

I don't have the subject-matter knowledge for this one, but even if it were in my own field of writing, I'd take the job only as a last resort and jump ship at the first better opportunity, simply to justify the effort or pay the bills. I would probably put it on my CV as a non-professional gig, simply to avoid getting tagged with that rate by future clients.

For a part-time job like that, my per-hour rate is *higher* than my regular rate, to compensate for the lack of cash flow and the potential interference with more stable opportunities.

It might be good for experience, but that rate isn't going to pay a whole lot of bills.

Six to twelve dollars per hour for subject-matter knowledge *and* the ability to write? That would be a labour of love.

I don't have the subject-matter knowledge for this one, but even if it were in my own field of writing, I'd take the job only as a last resort and jump ship at the first better opportunity, simply to justify the effort or pay the bills. I would probably put it on my CV as a non-professional gig, simply to avoid getting tagged with that rate by future clients.

For a part-time job like that, my per-hour rate is *higher* than my regular rate, to compensate for the lack of cash flow and the potential interference with more stable opportunities.

It might be good for experience, but that rate isn't going to pay a whole lot of bills.

[color:purple]wow!