Jambands.ca

Garth Hudson - Live @ Hamilton Place - Tonight!

Prost

It was an excellent evening with Garth and Maud. The show was in the studio theatre...so there were 50 people there tops. The show was great. The opening acts were awesome there was a girl playing the harp covering such tracks as Space Oddity by Bowie and Across The Universe by the Beatles....and she looked really familiar. So after talking with her we discovered where we recognized her from. She was on the first season of the Dave Chappelle Show...she was the hot singing white chick that sang whatever Dave wrote on cue cards.

Anyway back to the main event.

Garth took the stage by himself with accordian in hand and began a few tunes solo. Then Maud came out with the backup band called "The Best".

It was a really jazzy night that was full of great music. Highlights were a great funky version of "Don't Do It" and a soft mellow "It Makes No Difference". But the whole night was a blast. I got to meet Garth and Maud backstage before the show. And afterwards I had my painting of Garth autographed. What a great night.

It was wicked to see Paisley there....I would post those pictures of the show if I knew how to upload them. If I figure it out I'll try and post them.

ditto on an utterly fantastic show... didn't think I'd be able to afford it then got guest-listed very kindly at the last minute by the Hamilton Music Scene organizer... great to see you guys there too Prosty

they closed out the show with Dark Star (a suprise for me) but seemed to fit the free wheelin attitude Garth and Maud gave off

Garth Hudson is a freakin musical genius... whether on the keys or on the sax he has a perfect ear for joining the tone of the room at any given point and a ba-zillion lines of colorful chops rolling around in his head... a true natural, effortless switching it up between the 5 or 6 keyboards he had surrounding him then grabbing the sax to mix it up some... amazing talent

wasn't sure how I'd like Maud but dug her just fine... the obvious love between her and Garth was refreshing to see and I found she held her own quite well... obviously a girl who never stopped bein a real hippie who doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks about her... though her look is definately fundamentalist bible tent faith healer

highly recommended if you get the chance

as a super added bonus got to see Garth and Maud again the next night as they closed the Hamilton Music Scene awards ceremony with a moving 20 minute rendition of some Band song... Garth showed off his crazy range during a 12 minute solo grand piano intro that flowed effortlessly from gospelly to jazzy to classical to rock-y and had the 400+ room totally motionless, holdin their breath... just beautiful

Edited by Guest

after searchin like mad the past 10 mimutes just found it was It Makes No Difference and get back here to find Marco beat me to it... never been up on my The Band titles

Maud's definatly not a little bird on the vocals but I find it touching Garth opted to fit her in his band instead of leaving her home while he toured considering her being stuck in the wheelchair and all

met Garth and Maud at the reception afterward... truly awesome folks