Jambands.ca

I have a new political platform I want to propose...

ggrtrhhrtgg

nope, I wouldn't alter that at all... but, I ask you, if you were to extend the day to thirty hours, would that be necessary?

The Earth is approximately 24000 km at the equator and rotates at about 1000 kmph making our 24 hour day. Then you throw that extra day in there every 4 years to make up for any difference because the math isn't perfect. By not slowing down the Earth's rotation day would become night and night would become day and every year would be different and nobody would be able to get into any sort of sleeping routine. However, if it were possible to perform such a feat anything not bolted down would float away.

The year is currently 8760 hours, your year would be 10950 hours. If you didn't extend the orbit it would screw up the seasons and Christmas would eventually fall in the middle of summer and anybody with a real Christmas tree in their livingrooms will kick your ass.

I don't think a 30 hour day is really feasible. What's to stop your employer from extending the work day from 8 to 12 or 14 hours? Like Homer Simpson said:

"Marge, I agree with you -- in theory. In theory, communism works. In theory."

I think a 30 hour workday is a good idea in theory. Then again, so is world peace. In theory.

not to worry! Canada Labour Code to your rescue!

Fair enough, but if the government (particularly our government) would be willing to change how many hours make up a single day what's to stop them from allowing new law to come into effect that wouldn't also allow the total number of allowable workable hours per week to be extended? You have to remember that switching over to a 30 hour day would affect many, many things. That includes work hours, transit, television schedules, last call at bars, etc. I think it would have a more profound effect than the double cohort that was created when OACs (grade 13) were eliminated. (And we all know how well that went over ;) )

i'm all for the mandatory siesta.. my dream.. i take a voluntary siesta everyday around one or so ;)

you know, come to think of it, say in a 30 hour day world, if the government did want to up the maximum hours per week from 40 to say 50, i wouldn't mind.. that means i'd actually get paid for working hours that i would normally work without pay.

damn salaries.

lol.. the double cohort.. threw us for a loop! i don't know if a thiry hour day could contend! :) :)

This thread is awesome :)

numerodos, I like what you're trying to do (and love how off the wall it is). Sugarmegs and Lazlo raise some pretty valid concerns.

Many a year ago, Scotty from KW and I joked about starting a "Leisure Party" (toungue in cheek response to "Labour" parties that no longer represent the interests of labourers). We would advocate on behalf of a 35 hour workweek, or a 4 day workweek. It was an easier sell back then, when the unemployment rate was higher, because a 35 hour workweek creates employment.

Couple of things that we figured out that may help you in your endeavor:

It is important to dissociate time not working with "fun". It is too easy to attack if people can characterize what you are proposing as idleness, irresponsibility, or sloth. You need to drive home the idea that leisure/spare time is the space in which the genuinely meaningful things get done. Relationship building. Family. Social work. Self or community improvement. Learning, debating. It is the space in which you get to cease being simply a cog, and have the opportunity to become an engineer of the very machine itself. Etc..

You might be after fun, but you can't sell it that way exclusively. It will make you too vulnerable to attack. (though you can insinuate it, and should. Other people will be after fun, too, but will be reluctant to admit it).

It would achieve mostly what you are talking about, but without that pesky business of the sun and the earth's rotation tripping you up ;)

"Together, we can make leisure happen."

That type of thing.