Jambands.ca

thoughts on Satellite Radio

livingstoned

Looks neat. I heard of Sirrus first, but I've seen more XM presence around Toronto. It's one of those technologies, like digital cameras, that anyone who thinks it's a good idea will eventually get on board one day. I hear it's commercial free broadcasts, but there might be a subscription, and a pretty hefty buy in for the unit. The price will come down, and the opportunity to get one of these through a promotion (like the Ipods) will be high in the next couple of years until it catches on.

That's my two cents.

I read that XM has superior technology and service, but both are pretty good. My advice: if you're looking to invest in something, apparently sat. radio is a good bet as it's the only medium that hasn't experienced dramtic technology change in decades. Sat radio is the next step and apprently buying stock now is supposed to be a great investment as it will only go up in value in the next few years....

I could see the problem with Satellite radio being the monthly subscription cost. The price for recievers has come down lately, I think you can get one for under a $100, but I really hate the idea of paying a subscription fee every month. As much as I hate normal radio with all the commercials and such I still don't see myself paying a monthly fee for commercial free radio. Anyone know how the subscriptions work? Do you pay one price for access to every available channel or do you have to pay for specific channels or packages like the cable companies do?