Jambands.ca

? about Sarah Harmer Lyrics

Tungsten Gruvsten

hmmm. Now a couplet from the Thomas Trio's 142 Thru:

"Vanceboro's last chance to put it away/

Before the border guards play their favorite game"

Or something like that, I'm doing it from memory. No wonder they played together so much in the early 90's.

One of my favourite albums of the last couple of years is "You Were Here" by Sarah Harmer; the songwriting is top-notch, and the vocals, with their lack of "histrionics" found in a lot of other female vocalists' work, have an honesty and a "real" feel that sometimes shakes me to my bones.

I'm listening to "Basement Apt." right now, and was wondering about the lyrics to the last verse:

quote:

From "Basement Apt." by Sarah Harmer:

We always said that we were different

But we know that we weren't

'Cause there's holes in all the bottles

And my lungs hurt

I can only think of one thing that would end up with holes in bottles and hurt lungs: bottle tokes. Is that what's implied, or is there some other allusion I'm missing?

Aloha,

Brad

Is she still doing Basement Apartment? She did that the first time I saw her, about 10 years ago .... she opened for , I believe , Thomas Trio and the Red Albino. She just went on stage with her guitar, said "I'm Sarah", and did her set. I saw her again about a month later at another Thomas Trio show, opening with her band Weeping Tile. An awesome Canadian talent.

Rob Not Bob

Archived